Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

A Hello and a question!

Hi girls,

My name's Emma and my son turned 7 months on Sunday, he's called Harrison. Apologies but I've been a lurker since I found out I was pregnant, never really had the confidence to post! Harry was actually due in Feb but I was induced early as I was unwell with pre eclampsia, so I started to follow the BIJ forum rather than DIF, you all seem like such a nice bunch of girls! Well, I must say I love being a Mummy! it's the most rewarding, exhausting, enjoyable experience, different but far better than I could have imagined. Harry is wonderful and coming on leaps and bounds, would post a photo but I've no idea how!

So to my question, have any of you started to introduce textures in food to your LO. I've been offering textured food for a little while now, but felt no pressure for him to eat it as he wasn't 7 months, but now I know he should be eating slightly lumpier food I'm worried as he refuses to take more than one mouthful once he realises the first mouthful isn't smooth. I knowhe's hungry because as soon as I offer him something smooth he wolfs it down. Also he'll happily munch on finger foods! Are any of you having any problems with this?

Sorry it's such a boring question, I'm just confused as to what to do about it!

Thank you,

Em and Harry xx

Replies

• Hi, didn't want to r&r. My lo is almost 7 1/2 months, and we started weaning straight onto mashed foods, so can't help you on that point. I think mithical was having similar issues with her lo, so she may be able to offer more advice.

Just wanted to say welcome to BIJ. Look forward to chatting with you some more, we're not such a bad bunch :lol: xx

• Hi Emma, my lo is Sasha and she is 7 months today. We have been doing blw so I can't comment about introducing texture from puree, but I would say maybe try offering some finger foods, try some soft fuit so he can chew it easily, Sasha really likes Strawberries, blueberries, peach slices and pear slices. Does he normally eat yoghurt? Maybe you could mash some fruit and add it to some greek yoghurt?

I'm sure you'll get some good advice from the other ladies on here who have been doing purees. Nice to have you posting with us.

xx
  • Hi,

I started weaning Jack at 4 months old on smooths and started giving him finger foods from 5 months, I'd say it took a good 4/6 weeks of getting used to finger foods before he was happy eating mashed/lumpy food.

I am having a nightmare at the moment as he likes his finger food a bit too much and screams at me when i dare to come near him with a spoon but I suppose that's for another post.

I'd say give it a bit longer with the finger food and mabe make his puree's a bit thicker with baby rice etc and gradually he will get used to it i'm sure.

Hope that helps
    Lisa x
  • hello and welcome

my LO is 8 months nearly, we were due in jan but he sneaked into dec little monkey 8 days earlier than expected, we started weaning at just over 4 months so we are probably a bit ahead of you, about 4 weeks ago we started on mashed as apposed to puree, before that i was gradually making his purees thicker, now he eats mostly what we do so today he has had sausage, mash and veg mashed up, it has taken some time to work up to mashed and our mashed is probably a bit chunkier than the stage 2 jars, i usually offer a pureed pudding after so he still has a variety of textures and always offer some type of finger food wether it be a piece of apple or a cheesy poof

it may take a while for him to get the hang of chewing as every baby is different, so i would keep trying but maybe gradually make it thicker x

becca and jacob
    34 weeks
  • hi hun, and welcome to you and little harrison!

my LO is 32 weeksish and we started on purees at about 4/5 months with her, however she still isn't a fan of mashed food, she would prefer either completely smooth food (yoghurt etc) or finger food. i've tried everything going, every jar, pouch etc but it's still a no go. the only 'mashed' type food she will eat is mashed potato or scrambled eggs.

tbh i've just given up on mashed, don't see the point when she will quite happily eat a sandwich instead. i think the others girls ideas are quite good but if he's happy with finger foods i wouldn't worry too much about mashed food.

good luck x
  • Thanks for the replies girls. I was only concerned I was creating a fussy eater! Jemmykins, I've not offered Harry sandwiches before, just veg, fruit, and slices of bread, do you just give a sandwich as we would have them? Also, what sort of fillings? To be honest, when he has the veg etc, he doesn't really eat them, just gums bits off (no signs of teeth!) and occasionally swallows a bit, although I'm sure that's fluke rather than purpose!

I look forward to getting to know you all.

• Hello, my lo is James he's just over 7 months.

I was going to BLW, and decided James was struggling just a little too much with food when some broke off. Now we are on lumpy foods and some finger foods, although I'm still a little cautious as to what I give.

I did start with the smooth purees, but we didn't stay on them long. It took James a little while to get the hang of the actually. But I noticed he began to move the food around more, chew against the roof of his mouth, and a little more with his gums.

I don't know what finger foods you give, but maybe try the organix crisps which have texture as you suck/bite them. Also mago slices in juice are good. James sucks on them, they are a little stringy, but he has no trouble swallowing them!

As others have said maybe give something he likes like yoghurt, and add a little lumps of fruit, then he can have some lumps, some smooth. Might encourage him a little. Also sometimes babies just take a little while to get used to the taste of something, and it's not necessarily all to do with the texture. Try try again, and try new things. A jar or 2 won't hurt and you might find something Harry likes.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. xx
  • Hey...welcome! I think the others have pretty much covered everything about the food.

Can't believe you've been such a long-term lurker!!! Be brave - post!

• hey hun, i give soft fillings like cream cheese, dairy lea, grated cheese, tuna & creme fraiche, banana, occassionally jam. going to try egg 'mayo' this week when i get shopping in too as she loves eggs. basically anything we can have so long as it's not too salty etc.

emmy has only just started getting her first tooth through in the past week and manages pretty well. someone told me cooked meats were good too but i think until they have at least one tooth this could be quite hard in a sandwich though?

beware...sandwiches = mess! lol i have some mats for the floor and put cling film over them so after the mess is made i just scrunch it up and throw it in the bin, mess gone quickly! lol
  • our LO loves sarnies, we cut then into 4 long strips so there easy to hold, his fave is dairylea x
  • Will give the sandwiches a go tomorrow! I hate mess! Cling film over the mat is a great tip, I know things get messy, I just like it to be clean as quick as I can after, which isn't always an option with a 7 month old! I already saw an improvement tonight, Hubby fed him yoghurt with small lumps of apple in, he loves yoghurt, so he put up with the lumps! Was quite impressed that he managed to suck the yoghurt off the apple and then spit the apple out?!
    Thanks for all your help girls! I will try, try and try again! Xx
  • Hey hun,

Welcome to BIJ! I am glad you have decided to post so we can get to know you and Harrison.

I started weaning Arthur early (on medical advice) because of his size. Before he turned 6 months he had strictly pureed food. When he become 6 months I started to offer him finger foods and before I knew it he was refusing puree and would only eat what we were eating. As a result he is not on what I would call -proper food.' He eats everything we are eating so we have become healthy (we do not mash it but do cut it up so it is in more manageable chucks). He will only accept potato mashed and likes to feed himself.

I If he is eating finger foods I would probably continue with giving him them.

xxx