Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Dropping bottles

For the last few days Eva has refused her afternoon bottle. I keep offering it but she just turns her nose up and refuses to take any. Does this mean that she doesn't need it anymore? I've always been led by Eva in everything we've done, but when we started weaning I didn't wait for her to drop a bottle, I just went cold turkey and took the mid morning one away and replaced with a yoghurt instead.

Now I always give Eva a small yoghurt after her Weetabix, and she has milk in other things (mashed potato, rice pudding etc) and she loves cheese too but is this enough?

She takes 5/6oz at her morning and evening bottles.

Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• We've recently had issues with Poppy not being interested in her bottles. She was only taking around 12oz a day, and waking a lot during the night. We've found that reducing her portion sizes of food has worked for us. She'll generally take around 17oz now, which is a great improvement. She was slowly working her way up through the centiles too though.

She gets excited when she sees her bottles again now, which is nice. I'm not saying that this will work for you, but it's something maybe to consider? Poppy doesn't seem hungry at all, and her night waking has improved greatly (I'm putting the rest down to teething :lol: ) xx
  • The ideal is 17-20oz a day. That's milk and other dairy. I believe a yogurt is 2oz and cheese is 1oz (I might have that the wrong way round!)

If she really doesn't want it, you can't make her take it.

James is still on 4 bottles a day. I'm reluctant to stop the dream feed as he takes the most milk at that time. But realise I'll need to do it at some point! But last time weighed he was in the middle of his curve, so no rush imo! image

If he wanted to drop a bottle I'd let him (although not the morning or bedtime ones!) But he shows no sign at the moment.

Sorry to go on, let Eva lead you, and just try your best to make sure she gets enough dairy, like you already are. You can add milk to veg etc. if you need to. xx