Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby Signing

Have any of you taken or been teaching your lo's to sign? I started taking Harry when he was 5 1/2 months to a class, it's great fun and he loves the songs and interacting with the other babies. I try to use the signs for the main things as often as I remember, he's not picked anything up yet. I just wondered if any other janbabies had been going and how were getting on with it? Xx

Replies

• Options
    we don't go to a signing class but at our baby social we do use the proper signing for a few of the songs. i don't think i'm going to bother going as i go back to work in 6 weeks image but my mum is leaving work to be my childminder so might try and find one near her for LO.

i really want to learn the sign for potty though as emmy goes potty and tries to tell you when she wants to go but half the time i don't realise so i want to teach her that lol

it is really good though, my friends little boy loves to sign words still at 5!
  • Options
    I start the new term in Sept so will see if I can find out the sign for potty for you. Well done to your lo for already recognising that she needs to go! Hopefully that'll make potty training a doddle for you. All my friends have said that toilet training their toddlers had been the hardest part so far of parenting.

I love the group as there's only half a dozen of us, it's really laid back and harry loves the songs! I have tried to ask all my family when they see Harry to atleast sign hello. I'm looking forward to the new term, he'll be 8 months old so should be able to start picking it up. X
  • Options
    oooh sounds exciting hun image i;m going to wait til LO goes to my mum for childminding and teach my mum the basic hello, thank you etc as i learnt alot of the basics when i was a child and hopefully then emmy will pick that up.

yeah that was our logic. lots of people think we're mean for putting her on a potty so young (she's been going since she could sit so from about 4 months or so) but i think its the best thing we've done. if she wants to go she goes, if she doesnt she doesn't. and often she'll just sit there laughing at us asking if she needs a wee which is soooo cute. got to admit i don't like cleaning the poo from the potty though! lol
  • Options
    Well done Emmy! I can't see anything but positives to be honest with you, she obviously enjoys it and you're teaching her a very tricky skill that even most toddlers find hard to learn. Good luck with it and also with going back to work. I don't go back till mid October, great now, but literally left work to go straight into hospital! It wasn't planned that way, was meant to have a good few weeks off before harry arrived, but has worked out for the best for our littlefamily. Take care xx