Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

Infant Gaviscon

I know some of you were prescribed this a while back and Emilie's sickyness has taken to a whole new level in the last 3 weeks. Do you think it's worth a try? What were you prescribed it for and did it really work?

If I get it I need to order it online as they don't seem to have it in Holland!

Replies

• Hi

Dylan was perscribed infant gavison for his reflux (he was sick more than 40 times a day). In the end I was giving him 2 sachets per bottle to try and alleviate the sickness and then got told that this was too much as there is a lot of potassium in gaviscon. We are now using ranitidine which appears to be much better and he is down to being sick about 4 times a day now. I know that infant gaviscon has worked for other babies with reflux though so it may be good for Emilie.

HTH

Kay x
  • You are supposed to use 2 sachets for babies over 10lb I think it is, but only 6 times a day. (I think that's right, have used up our last box!)

I diagnosed James with silent reflux, and bought infant gaviscon for him. Luckily he wasn't being sick, just getting it in his mouth. He used to make motions as if he was tasting something.

We tried stopping it, and it seemed to make it harder for him to get rid of wind. So restarted it, and he was fine again. Now he's older we've tried stopping it again. Fingers crossed.

Anyway after that ramble, it's successful for a lot of babies, and trying one box won't hurt. See if you can find somewhere online that shows you the info on it, so you can decide if you're happy giving it. Introducing food, is known to worsen symptoms of reflux. xx
  • Flynn had awful reflux when he was smaller, and Gaviscon was fantastic. He was hardly sick at all whilst he was on it.
  • Harry was really bad and gaviscon worked immedietely. it's been a lifesaver for me as his vomiting was driving me daft. x
  • humm seems to be at leat worth a try! I'll let you know how it goes!
  • It never worked for us, Alyssa was still sick dozens of times a day her piediatrician did say it would help in a sense it would neautrilise the acid in her vomit and stop it hurting her throat which it did seem to do as she wasnt fazed by the vomit!!#

xx