Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

Paying Tax on Maternity Pay??

Hello - I wonder if anyone can help. I'm just trying to work out what we should be paying tax & national insurance wise on our maternity pay??? I am only getting statutory pay from my work and i know my january pay must have been wrong...

I started maternity leave on 1st December so got 6 weeks at 90% and then ??126 thereafter. So in Jan I should have been paid approx 2 weeks at 90% and then 2 weeks at ??126 which for me would roughly mean ??1150 (before tax etc) but what I actually got in my bank account was a mere ??373!! Now i know i shouldn't be paying out nearly ??800 in tax for that amount and have emailed my work to look into it but I'm worried that something similar is going to happen when i get paid again this month?

Does anyone know the rules? I know everyone gets a basic allowance and in this tax year i've already gone over that so do i continue paying 20% tax on mat pay? Also i pay the student loan company back ??90 a month as i earn over the 15k threshold so do i have to continue to pay this too???

Any help appreciated! xxx

Replies

• i think you need to speak to payroll as they must have it wrong, you will continue to pay tax if you earn above the normal tax threshold every month, as for your student loan i think the continue to take it unless you tell them, i know my pension contributions continue

becca and jacob