Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO nattynik

Hi there, I just wanted to ask you about feeding, as I remeber you saying that Olyvia was a fast feeder. Can I ask how early she was born, and how old she is now? My Cara was born at 36 weeks, and is now 6 weeks old. She was also a very fast feeder, and would only feed for 5 mins at a time. She had a growth spurt recently and upped the time to between 10-15 mins average, but is now back to 5 mins. She does drain a breast so I know she is getting milk, but im worried that it may be too much of the foremilk, and causing her to get an upset tummy. She is very windy and hard to settle at nights, which could be a sign of colic. I was just wondering if Olyvia was still having quick feeds and how she is doing. Also, what are her dirty nappies like?! Cara's are normally ok, but when she seems uncomfortable they have been green and mucousy. I am just trying to decid whether this is down to feeding, or just colic / upset tummy.

thanks image

Replies

• Hi Lisa

Lyvi was born at 36+5 and couldn't latch on for the first 2 weeks. At the time she was having expressed breast milk and early on it would take almost an hour to get 20ml in her! But once she learnt how to latch on she turned into a very fast feeder and like Cara would only be on for 5 minutes. I was really concerned and asked the HV who said she could well get all she needs in that time, especially as my milk flow is very fast. Lyvi has never had green poos, which I know can be a sign of only getting the fore-milk so that was always reassuring to me that she was getting the hind-milk too. She usually poos a couple of times a day and they are bright yellow and usually there is loads of it! She also has a wet nappy at the majority of nappy changes.

How is Cara's weight gain going? This will also be a good indication of if she's getting enough of the calorie-rich milk.

Olyvia now feeds for a little longer but I think that is due to the fact that she is sleeping a LOT longer at night now and is therefore making up for it by taking more at feeds during the day. But it's still not a huge length of time - probably between 7 and 12 minutes most feeds. She will often get uncomfortable during a feed and I have to let her have a little break and try to wind her (sometimes she burps, sometimes not) and then put her back on again. We saw the Dr today and she thinks Lyvi has reflux, which would be causing the discomfort.

I would think that if Cara is draining the breast then she is getting the hind-milk too. Although I have read that a windy baby can be a sign of getting mainly just fore-milk but then the wind could also be down to age/colic like you say.

Hope this helps a little!

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png