Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Stupid questions

Hi ladies,
I have a list of really stupid questions that I need answering as my brain isn't working tonight and I can't be bothered to 'google' them!

1) Car seats- How many of you still have LO in first car seat? Ella is still quite small and is nowhere near ready to go into the next stage seat and by 9 months I think she will still have loads of room in her seat. Is it ok to just leave her in it or is there a reason why they should move up at 9 months?? Or have I just made up the 9 month limit? When will I know to move her up-she is nowhere near the weight limit and will probably out grow it length wise first. What do I do? Confused!

2) Sleep- Is it ok that she is still in our room? I am in the process of decorating her bedroom (long story-don't ask!!) but everyone seems to have moved LO into their rooms already?? Am I making it more difficult for her in the long run as she won't want to move out of our room?

3) Food- How can I get her to eat lumpier food?? She will only eat purees. She also has finger food and manages fine with this so I know she can handle the texture she just won't eat mashed food which is driving me nuts!

4) Food again, should I be giving her snacks during the day? fruit etc? she has very slow weight gain and i struggle to get her to eat much at meal times. By giving her a mid morning/afternoon snack do you think this will make her worse at meal times or do you think she will eat this as well as lunch etc?

5) Weight- out of interest have any of your LO's not doubled their birth weight yet? I once heard someone say that you shouldn't wean until they have-if that was the case Ella would be one very hungry baby (especially considering she's not fond of milk!!) !!!

Told you they were stupid! Its been a long day!image

Thanks in advance
jojo

Replies

• hello

i'll try answer a few,

carseat - if she isnt too big for the one you have dont change it until she is weather that is a few more months down the line it doesnt matter, you just have to make sure she is not over the maximum weight and her head is not over the top of the seat, we changed to stage 1 as LO is very tall and his head was over the top which means he wouldnt be supported in a accident, his carrier went up to 29lbs so if he wasnt as tall we could have carried on ising it

sleep - is you are not disturbing her and her you then i dont see a problem, thats the reason we moved him out,

food - maybe you could just try getting her to eat meals as finger food, ie chicken dinner, strips of chicken, slices of potato, carrot ect, maybe you could pass the mashable stage altogether?

snacks - we have a biscuit or a few organix crisps in the day and when i drop the afternoon bottle i will be offering maybe a yogurt aswell

cant help on the last as we have a heavy chappie x
  • Not sure I'll be of any help but I'll have a go. Forgive the lack of spacing out, I'm on my mobile. Ok, so 1)James is still in his car seat, I believe they can stay rear facing until they either reach the top of the seat with their head, or exceed the weight limit. Sorry can't remember what that is right now. For safety I'm happy James stays rear facing until one of these, or he gets uncomfortable. 2)James is still in our room. Partly my reluctance to move him, partly my OH hasn't got his finger out to make the cot! :roll: I don't think you can judge by how long baby has been in with parents, as to how well they will take to their own room. IMO all babies are individual, and some are easier to move than others. Once they're down for naps in their own room, and down for the night, it won't matter to them where they are. 3)Perseverance unfortunately. We know babies move onto lumpy foods, as kids and adults don't eat purees. She's just getting used to the texture. Keep trying things she really likes, just build up very slightly at a time. 4)James is still on 4 bottles a day, so the only time I'd offer him a snack is 11am-ish. Most days I have to be honest, and I don't. But you could just try it. It could increase her appetite, or like you're worried about, it could fill her up. I think sometimes these things can be trial and error, to find out what works for you and your lo. 5)As far as I'm aware most of the Jan babies have doubled their birth weight, including the premature ones. But someone can correct me on that. James definitely had by 6 months. Hope I've helped a little. xx
  • 1) Car seats- Flynn has been in his 9month+ car seat for a little while, as I could see that he was uncomfortable is his first seat, and hated going in it. He is quite long, so his feet hung over the edge, and he was well into the weight limits for the next one. If you're happy still using your first one though, there's no reason to move on if she's still in the weight limits etc.

2) Sleep- Your LO can stay in your room for as long as you want to! It's all personal choice, not about whether other people have moved their LO's or not. To be honest, I'd like to have Flynn in our room but there just isn't space. Due to his size, he had to go into his own room/cot at a couple of months.

3) Food- Not really sure on the food front. I was lucky and Flynn went from being the same, to suddenly eating anything! Maybe it will just need to be a very gradual process!

4) Food again- Sometimes its just trial and error! Maybe you could try giving snacks. Flynn wakes up quite late in the mornings, so he doesnt have a mid morning snack, but he does have an afternoon one, which we started recently, and it doesnt seem to have affected his appetite for dinner.

5) Weight - Flynn doubled his birth weight ages ago! He was born at 8lb 3oz and now weighs 23lb 2oz!

[Modified by: Rosalie777 on September 16, 2010 08:46 AM]

• lol Rosalie Flynn has overtaken Cam now on the chunk front image

Jojo they're not stupid questions at all - here's my input/thoughts image

1) carseats. Most first carseats are up to 9kg which for an average baby is the weight they'll be at 9 months (so you didn't make it up\1). You'll only need to upgrade carseats when Ella hits that weight or her head starts to poke out of the top. Cam hit 9kg at 6 months (!) so we've been in the next stage carseat for a while now.

2) It's just personal choice I think. We moved Cam into the nursery at about 4 months and as a result both OH and LO started sleeping much better but if you're all happy in your room together then just leave her there until you're ready to move her in on her own it won't do her any harm.

3) Cam can be the same with lumps. The last week or so i've been giving him nearly 100% fingerfoods for all meals and he's much happier with that. When i first introduce lumps though (and he would take them then before he got stubborn!) I started with lumpier versions of his favourite foods before giving all food lumpier.

4) food again - I don't give Cam snacks usually but he eats loads at meals and loves his milk so he doesn't really need it. Worth experimenting though, maybe she'd be happier eating little and often?

5) lol I think the double birth weight thing is more if they are under 6 months. Cam was born 8lb 11oz and is now 22lb 8oz so he double plus some more!!

Hope that helps xx
  • lol Rosalie Flynn has overtaken Cam now on the chunk front image

:lol:
  • hi not silly questions so thought id add my 5 bobs worth too,lol

Lizzie is still in her first stage carseat and will be until she is either 18months on at the weight limit. she is a little shorty so dont think her head will reach the top before she gets too heavy for it. its reward facing which she is getting less kean on but as she is 8 months old she doesnt get the choice of what to look at yet image
    As long as you are happy with your sleeping arrangements im sure all will be fine. also i thought the new "guildlines" were to have baby in with parents until baby was 1 year ( i could have deamt this tho!)
    I would try what others have suggested and go straight for finger food meals!
    We give lizzie 1/2 a banana for a snack between lunch (at 12) and dinner (at 5). is your little one crawling? personally i have gound lizzies appite increased loads once she got crawling and crusing!
    lizzie was only 4 months when we started weaning and was diffinatly not double her birthweight at that point. she was still under 19lb when i had her weighed last and she was 8lb 9oz at birth
  • Think the others have covered everything on the food front. Just wanted to say check your car seat because we have a Britax infant carrier and I thought it only went up to 9 months/9kg but when I looked it's 13kg/approx 15months

• Thanks girls!!!
    She isn't crawling yet-only started sitting last week so is a bit of a slow coach!!! Maybe when she is more mobile she'll have more of an appetite.
    Will def try the finger foods-do I gradually wean her off the purees altogether? At the moment most finger foods end up on floor but maybe she doesn't really want them as she has filled up on puree?

Will check the car seat when I get two minutes.

Will keep her in our room for a minute, Ican't keep up with the guidelines-they change too often!!!

Thanks again!
  • If you want to change to baby led weaning, then yes stop the purees. But with that food is fun, and they don't ingest a lot to begin with, their main intake is still milk.

I don't know how much you know about BLW, but basically baby decides what they do and don't want to eat. You put foods in front of them, and they choose what to eat. You give them further alternatives if they don't show much interest, and if it ends up on the floor so be it. :lol:

I think if you want lo to actually be taking something, then you may need to continue that purees. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure someone else will be able to help further. xx
  • It might take a while to get onto finger foods but at this age they are pretty clever. We introduced finger foods to Cam at 6 months and now at 8 months he'll quite happily eat a whole meal without puree (unless he's having yogurt or something) and it all disappears now. To start i would for example give him a piece of buttered (unsalted of course image) toast for breakfast in squares and then fruit puree by spoon. Then for lunch a puree main meal and fruit sticks or vegetables sticks as finger food and so on and gradually just increased finger food as he got more confident/able with it. It does make meal times a bit longer but i'm sure you'll get it. Mithical is right that BLW is about giving baby a choice of what they want to eat. I don't think I am BLW because I don't give Cam a choice of food and he doesn't get to make decisions he just gets his dinner in a fingerfood style iyswim but you could explore either avenue. xx