Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My birth story finally! Also in Due in Jan.

It's taken me a while, but here it is, and it's going to be loooonnnngggg!

I woke up at 5am on 15th January, 5 days overdue. I had a bit of backache and needed the loo. This is when I had a bloody show, I'd had a little bit of mucus the 2 days before in the mornings, but nothing more. I texted my OH, who works nights saying I had the show, but no contractions yet. I began to get a sharp intermittent pain in my back, probably about 15-20 minutes later, so decided to have a shower. Unfortunately we don't have a bath.

By 6am the sharp pains were coming every couple of minutes, I rang labour ward. They were dealing with an emergency, and wouldn't even talk to me, just told me to ring back in 20 minutes. I rang OH in that time saying I thought he should come home. When I spoke to a midwife I was told I sounded like I was in early labour, take a bath (explained I had taken a shower), take some Paracetamol, and use a hot water bottle as all the pain was in my back.

The hot water bottle did absolutely nothing, as did the Paracetamol. Somewhere between 6.20am and 6.50am I started to feel the need to push. We rang the labour ward back at 6.50am and told them this, they said to come in. There was no way I could stop the urge, and it was a few minutes apart. With the backache taking a minute or so to ease off in between. I was concerned I was doing the baby harm, as obviously I didn't know how far dilated I was.

It took half an hour to get me out the house! I hadn't got dressed after the shower, and that in itself was a palaver, because I wanted to move but couldn't. Finally forcing myself we did get to the hospital at about 7.35am. Laid on a bed in the labout room, and said I had had the need and needed now to push. Midwife said the baby's head was crowning, push away!!

She meanwhile was faffing about looking to set up gas and air, which she asked my OH to open the equipment for! I took a couple of puffs on it, but to be honest the pushing stage wasn't as bad as that initial sharp pain in my back. I also think by the time I reached hospital I was more relaxed. She had listened to the heartbeat, which took a minute to find, and OH and I had a little panic, because of all the pushing at home. But it was lovely and strong. I had to pause so the midwife could unwrap the cord from around the baby's neck, he also had his arm up. The midwife also had to take the cord from around baby's body. I actually think I enjoyed the last pushes in hospital. Baby was put on my tummy, and OH, who had not been sure whether he wanted to or not, cut the cord. He is proud he allowed the first lot of air into our baby's lungs! :\) Baby was born at 7.45am after a 2hr 45min labour.

I had a 3rd degree tear as the baby's arm had been up, and the baby had passed a small amount of meconium. So baby had to be monitored for 12 hours, and I had to go to theatre to have a repair. Signed all my consent etc. and was told they would fit me in before an elective c-section.

Knew a couple of the people in the theatre by sight from my nursing training, but didn't care! Spinal was lovely, took away my cramps. Had a litre of fluids up. I could hear baby in the recovery room waiting for me. OH by this time was knackered and flagging after working all night! Baby's weight was 8lb 12.5oz, and his name is James Dalton John R.

From the recovery room went to the ward, and we stayed overnight because baby wasn't taking to breastfeeding. He was getting so frustrated everytime they tried to help me do it. So took the decision to bottle feed, and was allowed home lunchtime the next day.

I can't believe I didn't have my waters break, have no idea where they went! Also that I had no pain in my bump, all in my back. No-one told me you could have a labour like that. As for the length of labour, I don't know if it progressed that quickly or if some of it was 'silent'. But it took us by surprise.

mithical and James 9 days old.

Replies

• Gate crashing, best wishes and congratulations.

• Oh hun!! Wow! What an amazing birth story, I would've been shocked to death if they'd told me the head was crowning, thank goodness you got to the hosp!

Sending huge love and hugs and a big snuggle to James xxx
  • Thank you. To be honest, I felt like something was happening before we left the house. That's what finally kicked me up the bum to move! My notes said head on perineum! x