Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My Birth Story

Taking the opportunity to write this while Flynn is sound asleep!

Well, things start rolling at 8pm on Friday 22nd Jan, when I felt two popping sensations in my tummy and my waters broke. Had not been feeling any different during the day so it came as a bit of a shock!
I phoned the hospital and they said to come straight over, so we loaded my bags into the car and off we went, I was so excited!
Arrived at the hospital at about 9pm and had an internal check at about 9.30, and was told that nothing at all was happening, I was not dilated at all and that I should go home, check my temperature every four hours and take it easy.
A little disappointed, we made our way back home and prepared for a very long night. I began to get some painful tighenings and hooked up my TENS machine, which promptly broke, leaving me with no pain relief.
Within less than an hour I was in awful pain, could not get comfortable, and as well as the tightenings I had constant pain in the very bottom middle of my bump.
My other half then called the hospital again who said to come back and they would check me out again.
We arrived back at the hospital at about 11.30. This time I was taken into one of the delivery rooms to be examined again, I think they could tell how much pain I was in and the midwife asked if I would like to try some gas and air. I immediately said yes and after a few sucks of that I began to feel as if I was very very drunk but it helped an awful lot! As soon as it had taken effect, the midwife did another internal examination and was a little shocked to find that I was very almost fully dilated!
I then moved into my chosen position (knelt up against head of bed). The bottle of gas and air I was on then ran out while the midwife was out of the room, but before I knew it I was connected to a new one and carried on having this while I was having contractions. This seemed like about 2minutes, but carried on until 2.27am.
I then suddenly needed to push, so I started and nearly strangled my poor OH in the process! After 15minutes of pushing, Flynn Stuart Gerbach was born, weighing 8lb 3oz and measuring 54cm. Daddy cut his cord.He had his cord around his body so was a little blue and needed a quick rub down to get breathing but was almost immediately given to me as I turned round on the bed. He then breast fed for almost an hour before I went for a shower while my Mum looked after him.
I'm so happy that my labour went so well and so quickly! (Less than 8hours), I needed no stitches and he even arrived on his due date!
My OH is over the moon, and already a brilliant Daddy, although he keeps telling me how funny it looked to see a face squished between my bum cheeks!

Replies