Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

follow on from mrs P post re:bottles (also on did09)

i see it seems to be that a few other people are having smae problem as I am with regards to getting milk into their LO's!
Lizzie will only take 4 or 5 oz in the morning and about the same for her 2:30/3pm bottle (i offer her 8oz at every feed) she will however take a whole 8oz before bed.
I was wondering how many bottles or feeds (if breastfeeding) you give your LO?
I only give lizzie a small amount of soya milk on her ready brek but I could up this to around 5oz (this seems a good amount for breaky looking at mrs p's post) as well as her morning bottle but then give her a snack instead of afternoon bottle and still carry on with 8oz at bedtime. this would mean she would be having about 12/13oz of formula milk with an additional 5oz of soya milk on breakfast (shes intolerent to cows milk) which would take her to the minmum of 18oz they should be having. is this right??
btw i do offer her soya yogurts and soya puddings and use the soya milk when making potoes ect.
any advice or words of wisdom would be great. i would phone and ask hv but thought id ask here first x

Replies

• I believe it's 20 oz a day. But if you're using milk in cooking and on breakfast, hopefully Lizzie is getting enough. These babies will only take what they will take! So adding elsewhere is the right answer. xx
  • we did drop to 2 bottles a while ago but since having finger food for one meal he is desperate for the 3rd bottle, i am sure if i had stuck to 2 mashed meals he wouldnt take the 3rd, we have 7oz for breakie either full bottle with toast or half a bottle with the rest used on cereal, a 7oz afternoon and a 8oz bed bottle x
  • Sara would prob drop to 2 bottles but she never takes much and so I've kept her on 3 as I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs. She'll take 6oz morning and mid-afternoon and then 8oz before bed so that totals 20oz a day ish. So we're still on the min with that so I'm in no rush to drop more.

xxx
  • We have the same problem. We currently have 8oz for breakfast with some used for cereal. 2oz in the afternoon and then 6 to 7 at bedtime. I think in Emilia's case it is because the milk hurts her tummy and gives her reflux. She isnt actually sick but it makes her extreamly uncomfortable.

They will drink what they want to - I dont think we get a say in it!! xx
  • Thanks for replies.
    joemoeuk- I think your right,lol. HV said Lizzie will never been keen on milk due to all the problems we have had with it and her intolerence. well i will see how we get on over next couple of days with new routine and if theses start going pear shaped then i can always just give her back the 3rd bottle,makes no difference to me as long as she is happy and comfortable. x