Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What a difference a day makes! Updated

Yesterday, Poppy was so unsettled. From the minute my husband walked out the door to go to work at 1:30pm, she was restless, working herself up into a state :\( After trying the usual food, nappy, hot, cold, changing environment, she still would not settle. I ended up putting her in the sling and pacing the house with her. I would have gone for a walk, but had to wait in for a parcel to be delivered :roll:

By 5:30pm, I was getting nowhere and we were both in tears. I had called my hubby, and was going to ask him to come home from work, but he hadn't answered. I called my mum & asked her to come and rescue me. She was here within half an hour, but by the time she got here, Poppy decided-finally-to settle. After her usual bed-time routine, and a few more tears, she went down for the night. I have to say, as much as I love her, I was so glad of the rest.

Today, she has been a different baby, happy & smiley, and chilled :\) We went through her usual bed-time routine, and although tired, she was still awake. I decided to put her down anyway & see what happened. That was at 7pm. I have heard her chattering away to herself, but it all went quiet half an hour ago. This is the first time she has self-settled properly (I usually have to put her down when she's almost asleep!).

Just wanted to share with you, as I'm so proud of my lil lady, and amazed at what a difference 24hours makes. I'm sure this is just one of the many roller-coaster rides we have to look forward to! :lol: But if they are all followed with days like today, bring them on!! image
*******************************************************************************************************
Thank you for all your replies, thought I'd just up-date. I woke this morning at 7:45am in a blind panic as we hadn't heard a peep from her all night! I went into her room, and she was fast asleep, so I came downstairs, boiled the kettle & made her a bottle. I went back up, and it was 8:10am when she woke, and took a good feed!

Today hasn't been as good as yesterday, but I put her down again tonight, and she settled herself off to sleep (I had to go up once to shh her!). The only thing that I have done differently are that she's had a nap before I've bathed her (40mins to an hour), and told her a story after her bottle...

Fay Fay, I think you're so right that they pick up on all our emotions, and stress leads to stress. I'm always amazed what these little people can do & sense xx

[Modified by: honey82 on 25 March 2010 20:32:46 ]

Replies

• glad to hear a happy ending image xx
  • so happy for u hun, hope you have more days like today and no more days like yesterday xxx
  • Glad Poppy had a better day today. I'm hoping James is going to self settle a lot more. Put him in his crib after bath and bottle, been up twice to resettle him, but we've left the room both times. Don't want to jinx it, but he's asleep! xx
  • sounds like the day we had on monday, a screaming little monster image

we always put jacob to bed awake now, glad its going well x
  • I am so pleased you had a brilliant day after your nightmare one. Florence had 2 days of being unsettled after her imms last week and then the next day she woke up and was a different baby! They are so sensitive to us too, if we're tired/stressed/tearful/anxious they pick up on it straight away and then they become overtired and tearful, a difficult circle that I think only a good night's sleep breaks.

Here's to more wonderful days, especially now that Poppy is getting older and can occupy herself more.

Fay and Florence x