Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Food intolerance?

I've noticed that Poppy seems to be sick after eating strawberry fromage frais or raspberry fromage frais. I can't remember if this was the case when I've given her fresh strawberries though. She's not had either of these this week and hasn't been sick. I don't think it's an allergy because she has no other symptoms (rash/swelling etc) other than vomiting, but wonder if it could develop into one?

I think I recall reading somewhere that babies will generally reject any food that they may be allergic to, so wonder if she is doing this? I feel that I need to give her strawberries again to see if it's just a coincidence, but feel cruel doing it! I will mention it to HV when I get her weighed next week, I just wondered if any of you have experience or thoughts/advice on this? Thanks xx

Replies

• Hi lizzie has a few things she cant eat as she is intolerent to them and one of them is strawberrys. if she eats anything with strawberrys in it then she gets a rash on her face and then very bad smelling pooy nappies!
    my hv told me due to this it is highly likely she is also intolerent to mango (whoich i knew anyway as it brings her out in ezecma) and also citrus fruit.
    i was told not to worry if you do forget and give them something she is intolerent too (although try not to) but it will just make them uncomfortable and get sick/bad poos/rashes ect. its not life or death as its not an allergy which would cause a shock reaction.
    hope this helps a little x
  • If you don't remember a reaction when you gave her strawberries, and I think I remember a post on fb where she loved them? Could it be the fromage frais part?

Give her a strawberry to check, you need to know! xx
  • Apparently strawberries are one of the worst culprits for causing an allergic reaction in babies - it's so common!
  • I looked back on FB mithical, and I commented that I didn't think she was too keen on the strawberries - it's a good job I write such inane cr*p on there, lol! She's been fine with peach & blackcurrant fromage frais, so I don't think it's that.

I'm not yet brave enough to try her with it/them yet, it's trying to find a time that would be 'convenient' for her to vomit, lol! I'll wait until next week when hubby's around & can deal with it-I've never been good with vomit, lol!

Babybarbarella, I think I read that too. I think at the moment it may just be an intolerance, I hope it doesn't develop into an allergy xx
  • Ahh, my mistake. Did she vomit after the strawberry do you think?

Anyway, if she doesn't like strawberries easy enough to steer clear. xx
  • I remember reading in the blw book that babies will naturally avoid foods that they are allergic to, if she wasn't too keen on them when you gave them before then maybe she is. Maybe just offer one to her and let her decide if she eats it or not?

I don't know if that's true or not, it could be complete nonsence, but you never know?
  • I honestly can't remember if she vomited after the strawberries or not, but I know she definitely does after strawberry or raspberry fromage frais, lol! I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet & give her one, as sarah-jb says, she may not eat it. But then I guess I'm none the wiser if she doesn't? So frustrating, lol! Thanks ladies xx