Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Yet another weaning question

We only started weaning on Tuesday so we're on day 4. We waited until Eva was 6 months as she wasn't ready before then.

We started with baby porridge, and offered just a spoonful but she ended up eating the whole lot (it covered about half the bottom of her bowl). She had the same on Wednesday but she also had some of my banana in the afternoon. Then yesterday and today she has had some puree veg for breakfast (2 ice cube size pieces) and some puree fruit in the afternoon with some more banana and she wolfs it all down.

So anyway, my question is am I giving her too much too soon? I figure that if she didn't want it or wasn't hungry then she wouldn't eat it, and it's not affecting her milk intake at all.

Thanks

Replies

• As she is 6 months already then you can go for 3 meals a day already, if you are spoon feeding then you need to be careful not to overfeed her and stop when she has had enough, likewise she will let you know if she is hungry stll, remember her tummy is just the size of her fist. Quality is more important than quantity, try and offer lots of different types of foods with different tastes and textures.
  • Some of the ladies started straight away with 3 meals a day, so I'm sure she's not taking that much.

If she's managing it, and enjoying it then go at Eva's pace. She'll let you know if it's too much.

Glad it seems to be going well. xx
  • I was worried about this with Dylan too as we went up to 3 meals a day quite quickly.

At first he seemed like a bottomless pit and would eat everything that I gave him. Recently I've noticed that he will start to blow raspberries when he has had enough (its always nice to get coverd with puree at this point). So my guess is that Eva will find some way of letting you know when she is full, hopefully one that is less messy than Dylan's!

Kay x
  • as you have started at 6 months you can go striaght to 3 meals, she wont take it if she doesnt want it, just start small and work up x
  • As the other ladies have said, if she's had enough she'll let you know. Cam starts chewing the straps of his highchair when he is full up. x
  • We went straight to 3 mashed meals a day, and she now has 2 puddings also. As the others have said, she will let you know when she's had enough, Pops refuses to open her mouth, shakes her head 'no', and blows raspberries when she's had enough! I LOVE being a walking baby food menu, lol. Hope you're still enjoying weaning xx