Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

OMG, what a day

Arthur slept through last night for the first time, amazing, we thought. However, during his top and tail wash I noticed a purple pin prick rash under his skin. He was fine in himself but I thought I would do the glass test, just to be sure.

I did and it didn't disappear! As he was ok I in himself I decided to call NHS direct to be on the safe side. I spoke to the advisor who transferred us immediately to the on call Dr for an assessment.

To cut a long story short the on call Dr referred us to A and E who then rushed us down to the paediatric assessment team. They took blood from Arthur and kept a fistula in his foot to start immediate treatment for septicaemia. The poor little man was amazing and so brave! He slept through the blood being taken, which of course raised more concerns about drowsiness. They also kept referring to the wheeze in his chest; something I had visited the GP about previously and had been told was completely fine and normal!

Luckily, the blood test results came back clear; they also decided that the wheeze was normal and that he would probably grow out of it so after another 8 hours of observations they sent us home. We were so relieved that he was completely fine and thankful to have him back at home safe and fast asleep in his cot. The rash is still there and is still non-blanching with the glass test but apparently these things do happen every now and then. I wish they had told us this at first as we spent a few hours of the day thinking there was no explanation other than meningococcal septicaemia!

He is still fine in himself and has no idea what sort of a day it has been. I still can't believe he slept through the blood tests!

I feel emotionally drained and I am definitely going to have an early night!
I hope you had a bette day than us xxx

Replies

• Oh you poor things, how scary.

Really glad he is ok. Sending you lots of (((((hugs)))))

Love NN and Olyvia xxx
  • That does sound stressful.

Glad you are all home, and Arthur is fine. xx
  • God what a day...I am so pleased that it was nothing serious though.
    Glass of wine I think is in order!

Joanna x
  • What a scare for you! So glad everything is ok. Has Arthur had a virus or been unwell recently? - its quite common for kids to get rashes after they have a virus, due to mummy brain I can't remember why!

Get a good rest in tonight

• OMG glad hes ok what a brave little man!
  • Glad he is ok and hope you have managed to calm down a bit, I'm sure it will take a while. xx
  • Sounds like you had a heck of a day. Glad Arthur is ok though! You can't be too careful with lo's. Sending you both cyber hugs xx
  • Glad everything's is okay but what a day for you!! I think in most cases it is probably worse for us mummies than for the babies.

Hope you had a glass of wine, and don't torture yourself by thinking about the might've beens.
  • Thanks girls. Feeling much better today and Arthur slept through again last night! Shocking, since he used to wake every hour?!!! I have started the dream feed again though so must be working.

MyButler - No Arthur has been fine, no signs of being ill other than the normal teething irritations.
    His rash is still there but I have been told its nothing to worry about. He is completely fine in himself, very happy and full of energy!
    I was so tired last night that I stayed away from the wine but I have had a nice cold glass this evening.

xxx