Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

Is my baby the only one that can't...

Crawl or stand?

Just seen the pictures of Mrs P's daughter on F-book, Abigail was born on the same day and she seems to be no where near crawling or standing.

Kerlly

Replies

• we are no where near crawling, and have only just started to roll, he is 29+6, he can stand with us holding on to his hands, it is still really early for crawling and standing x
  • Emilia cant crawl although wants to...she can stand if you support her.
    I wouldnt worry, all babies develop at a different rate xx
  • Eva can't crawl, and to be honest she's not a fan of being on her front so I imagine it will be a while before she crawls. She would much rather be sitting up. She does stand if you support her and she loves to be on her feet.

Every baby develops at their own pace and will reach the little milestones when they are good and ready. I wouldn't worry.
  • As the others have said all babies develop differently so i wouldn't worry Alyssa has always been in a rush to do things even from a few weeks old she hated to be sat down and always had to be held up so she could put her feet on the ground or your knee, she was trying to roll back to front at 11 weeks and sitting unaided from 5 months, she now shuffles along on her bum without it fazing her and can drag herself along and push on to her knees but doesnt then crawl if you see what i mean i think she is just going to skip and start walking she can stand completely unaided without us holding for a good few seconds.

She is just an impatient so and so!!!

xx
  • I find the babycentre development chart quite useful for tracking how Cam is doing! http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/milestonesfirst6months/ & http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/milestones7to12months/

As the other ladies have said each baby does everything at their own pace. Cam is nowhere near crawling, but my friends son who is 12 days older than Cam is zooming around the place on his hands and knees! But at the same time Cam is way ahead with his verbal development but my friends baby is about where he should be, they've just got different skills! They are all different but they'll all end up with the same skills at somepoint! x
  • Try not to think of Abigail (beautiful name!) as 'under developed' in that area - I know it's difficult but try not to compare her to others. 7 months is not the norm to be crawling or standing but I bet Abigail is more developed in a different area - such as her babbling/talking or perhaps her ability to feed herself? They all have different skills and babies usually 'concentrate' on developing one area at a time.

My best friends baby is 10 days younger than Lyvi and has been crawling around everywhere for a few weeks now and is pulling herself up on everything, which Lyvi doesn't do, but hardly ever smiles, rarely laughs and can't babble like Lyvi or use a spoon to feed herself! They just have different skills.

Also it can depend on other factors like the size of the baby. Very small babies tend to reach the physical milestones later because they just don't have the muscle mass like bigger babies. My HV was very surprised at how Lyvi can sit up so well and has been rolling over since 12 weeks (corrected) because she's SO tiny!

They will all get there in their own time and who cares if they're first, second or last to do so! As long as they're happy and healthy :\)

Love NN xx
  • Flimpo - thanks for that link! I ve been looking for good development charts a while. My boy now is almost 23 months and I still have not found one that I like! These are fab, gives you a wide variety of stages and makes you see that your child is perfectly normal! Yay!
  • Emilie cannot sit, stand or crawl. I feel like she's behind because she wont sit!

She has though spend hours carpet swimming in the last week since she worked out how to get on her belly!

i tell myself her energy goes into growing all her teeth!

Liz x x
  • Sebastian can't crawl yet either although he can now sit up properly. He does carpet swimming too which is very funny as he tends to propel himself backwards away from the very thing he's trying to get towards, he gets very frustrated.

He's definitely sitting and moving much later than my daughter did but then she wouldn't have fingerfoods until 10 months or feed herself with a spoon until 15 months where as Sebastian does both really well for his age.

A friend once said to me (when I panicked because dd still didn't have any teeth at 10 months) that when they get to school they can all walk, all talk, all have teeth and (normally) all potty trained.

DD is now quite in front with most things (she's 3 in Sept) despite being 4 weeks prem but whereas all my friends now have to tie their daughters hair back in long flowing ponytails we still haven't had to have a haircut!!!!!!!!!!!
  • James can sit unaided, but only for a short while. I'm convinced it's his belly putting him off-kilter. :lol:

In relation to crawling, he lays his head down and tries to get a knee up. Or puts his arms underneath him out straight. just need him to do both together.

James can hold his weight on his legs really well.

As the other ladies have rightly said, babies progress at their own speed. Some things come quicker than others, some they skip completely.

I'm always comparing James with my friend's lo who is 22 days older. She can sit unaided, and crawl. She's got 2 teeth, she's weaned further. But at the end of the day, James is mine and he'll beat her at something one day. ;\) Seriously though, James is friendly and smiley, what more could I want?! xx
  • Don't worry! Flynn has just started to roll and he's 27weeks. He can't sit yet either
  • Sasha is 27 wks and nowhere near crawling either, and showing no signs of even wanting to. She is a very 'chilled' baby and is quite happy just sitting watching what is going on and taking it all in, maybe when she decides that she wants to join in with something then maybe she'll try and move a bit.
  • Lizzie cant crawl either. She rolls to where she wants to be-normally one side of lounge to the other and down the hallway!
    she can sit but preferes to be rolling around. she can stand with support-she lets go for some unknown reason as she has no balance what so ever!!
    she has 2 teeth at the bottom. lizzie can get onto her hands and knees and rocks but doesnt move anywhere!
    I seem to find myself comparing her to my best friends baby who is 5 weeks older than lizzie. they are both the cutest baby girls in the world (ofcourse i say that her mummys my best friend!!) my bf's baby can crawl and is really strong on her legs and says dada ect and also holds her own bottle-all of which lizzie doesnt do but lizzie sleeps all night which for me is bliss and something i wouldnt want to exchange for being able to crawl right now,lol
    Im sure once my bf's babys teeth cut she will sleep better(the poor baby has been suffering and her poor mummy feeling the stress of it) and im also sure one day lizzie will crawl but they will decide when they do these things and its this sort of thing that makes them individual xx
  • Thanks for all your replies. Natty Nick you are right I can't shut her up sometimes, and she has really good hand/eye co ordination she is able to feed herself finger f ood and from a spoon. I suppose I shouldn't be impatient and enjoy her been a baby.

Kelly