Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Who is still doing a dream feed?

How many of you are still doing a df? Sasha has been sleeping through consistently for about 4 weeks now and I am wondering when to stop the df. I still exclusively bf so I don't know how much she is having during the day but she is putting on plenty of weight (she's up on the 91st centile). I don't mind doing the df and so don't want to force her to drop it if its going to cause her to wake up during the night, but I wouldn't mind being able to enjoy a glass of wine or two in the evening with out having to worry about feeding her again.
For those who did when did you stop, or when do you think you will stop.

Sarah & Sasha 18 weeks

Replies

• Options
    Hiya - We're still dreamfeeding. I was gearing up to stop as we've started weaning and Cam was having his usual milk intake plus 3 meals a day. However the little mite has decided he isn't drinking milk anymore so he's scuppered my plans! The HV said as long as he takes 20oz it's fine but somedays he won't do this in the daytime (despite previously taking 45+oz!) so i have no choice now but to give him this feed. I don't mind really, and like you would rather feed him then rather then and then have him sleep. If he picks up on the milk drinking front i think i'll just go for it - not give him it and see what happens. Worse case scenario i guess is that they wake up after you've gone to sleep and you feed and settle them then. If Cam doesn't pick up his milk intake though i'll wait until he's 6 months (20 weeks atm) when he needs less milk and will try then. I'm sure Sasha will let you know quite loudly if she's not ready to drop her df image. xxx
  • Options
    Poppy is ff, so slightly different. We still df her at the moment. Problem is, if she has too much at her df, she isn't hungry when she wakes up first thing! I love this feed though, as she's so snuggly & cute!

When she starts taking a decent amount from her first couple of day time bottles, we will consider dropping it. It has been suggested to us to just 'brave it' and see if she wakes, but I'm certain she would, as she doesn't take enough during the day. I think we're likely to stop it either when she's only needing/taking a couple of oz's, or when she's weaned/weaning. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, or isn't much help! xx
  • Options
    We still give Emilie a DF of 3oz every night, I've brought this down from 6oz which is what I did before dropping the 4am feed. I'll just gradually reduce the amount and if she's sleeping through on say 1oz then we'll stop altogether. xx
  • Options
    We still DF, also formula. James wakes at 4am as well, so don't feel I can drop it. Might have to wait until he's weaned. xx
  • Options
    we stopped when he was only taking a very small amount, he was too sleepy to take any more no matter how much i jiggled him about :lol: we though he would wake later but he didnt and slept through until 6/7am (those where the days!!) i think he was about 12 weeks, when we dropped it we popped in another feed in the day to make sure he wasnt missing out x
  • Options
    We used to DF Sebastian but it stopped when he was about 16 weeks (he's now 21 weeks). We didn't drop it though he did, we would go to feed him and he would refuse to take any so we stopped trying.

With DD we carried on witha DF until she stopped taking it too but it took her until she was almost 6 months to stop wanting it.

I tend to let them decide when they don't want a feed rayher than other way round the problem is Sabastian now decided he doesn't want to take his bedtime feed now either, little devil .
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I think I will wait for her to tell me when she doesn't want it anymore and just carry on enjoying the cuddles for a while longer.