Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

And another weaning question!

Hi ladies

Dylan has just moved on to stage 2 milk (he is on extensivley hydrolised formula due to dairy allergy) and I've notice that the guidelines say that he should be on 2-3 7oz bottles per day. He is currently 28 weeks and on 4 7oz bottles per day along with three meals (no desserts).

So my question is, do I drop a feed or not? I have increased his portion sizes over the past week or so and am thinking about introducing a dessert too. Our day goes something like this at the moment:

7:00am 7 oz bottle
8:00am breakfast
11:30am 7 oz bottle
12:30pm lunch and juice (4oz)
4:00pm 7oz bottle
5:00pm dinner
7:00pm 7oz bottle

Any ideas which of these bottles I should drop or will Dylan do this himself when I introduce more solids?

Thanks again

Kay x

Replies

• we dropped the mid morning bottle when he stopped taking much of it as he was full up from his breakfast, we did move his lunch forward though to half 11, the guidelines are 20 oz a day once fully weaned but some babies need more and som less

so we have

7/8am bottle 7oz and brekkie of toast or porridge
    11/12pm mashed meal and pudding
    2/3pm oz bottle
    4/5pm finger food meal and pudding
    7/8pm 8/9oz bottle

• We've just dropped from 4 - 3 bottles and are now doing:

6am - breakfast
    9/10am - bottle 8oz
    12/1pm - lunch
    2/3pm - bottle 8oz
    5pm - dinner
    6.30 - bottle 8oz

Before the 4th bottle was immediately before breakfast. I don't think Cam would have willingly dropped any bottle (were still on 6 bottles a day a month ago) but it was just a matter of jigging his eating timings around so he had something every 3 hours or so and making sure he was eating a decent amount at mealtimes. I just experimented until we found an eating schedule that worked for him, that kept him satisfied. trial and error I say! x