Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

Waking and Sleeping

Hi All,

How often are your babies awake during the day/night? When are they awake and how long are they awake for?

Up until today Sebastian really just slept between feeds except for evening between 6 pm and 10 pm feed when he would just be grumpy (don't think it's colic as he settles on us just not in his moses basket) occasionally he will also have trouble settling after his 2 am feed.

I did think that maybe I should try harder to keep him awake more during the day but if he wants to sleep i've found that it's practically impossible to keep him awake.

Today he was awake for about 1 hour after his 6 am feed then woke up again at 9. He then slept completely between 10am and 2:45pm but then he only had an hours sleep in 2 stints between then and when he went to bed at 6:30. He has unusually gone down quietly this evening which probably means I'll be up half the night.

I know all babies are different so I'm not worried just wondered how he compared. You'd thought I'd have more of an idea having done this once already but I'm just as useless this time round ;\)

Wendy and Sebastian ( 4 weeks old tomorrow...eeek!)

Replies

• Lizzie wakes about 7:30 in the morning has bottle and is awake until 8:30 when she falls asleep in pishchair on school run, she wakes up again when we get home about 9am and stays awake for an hour or so having another bottle then she falls asleep until next bottle about 3 hours later, after that bottle she falls asleep on school run again, we get home and do baths and shes awake then until bottle at tea time, then she is cat napping until ealry evening bottle, then at 7:30/8:30 bottle she will fall asleep about an hour or so after finishing it and then sleeps til 2/3am has botttle but is harder to settle but when she does its until 7:30 next morning x
  • hello

most of the time jacob sleeps straight after a feed, he is usually awake around 4pm for a while but does tend to get very very grumpy if hes awake more than a couple of hours and is then hard to settle.

apart from then he is not usually awake more than half an hour after a feed and is usually screaming for a feed before x