Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hello!.... BFing?

I was finding breast feeding surprisingly easy until just today when Oliver has slept right through for four hours without a feed and I had to wake him and he wouldn't take lots as he kept falling asleep! :/ now my boobs are SORE! and huge! and I don't have the time or energy to get the pump out! I'm just hoping he wakes up soon and feeds well so I can blooming sleep! image

I keep looking at him not quite believeing he's here and I cudda sworn I cud feel him kicking today in the bath LOL! image

Anyways how are you all?

xxx

Replies

• I'd be lying if I said I was finding it easy, but we're much better at it now! Alfie has fed no problem from my left boob from birth but we struggled on the right boob. The position didn't feel right, he wouldn't latch on, would throw his little head around... It was so engorged I was in agony so I did use the pump to express from it a couple if days ago and since then, we've managed much better.

At 8 days old, Alfie is now emptying both boobs each time he feeds and has often been going back for thirds on the left boob! So it's taking over an hour. I'm so glad we persevered with breast feeding though as it would have been so easy to go onto formula instead.

Have you tried hand expressing? Only a few drops come out (in my case) but it definitely relieves a bit of the pressure and pain?
  • I have tried to hand express but only to tempt him when he is sleepy but still wants a feed... I will definitely try that now though thanks image

Glad I stuck with it too! it's so rewarding seeing Oliver looking up at me with his little cheeks puffed out bless him image

xxx
  • Alfie does this hilarious maniacal head banging just before he latches on which makes me laugh and then I'm wiggling too much for him to find the nipple!

xxx
  • Hi ladies,

I'm breast feeding too and sometimes find it easy and other times find it really tough. We aren't in much of a routine yet - Charlie seems to feed regularly every 2 - 3 hours during the day and then wants to feed every hour once we get to bed!Think I got all of 3 hours sleep last night!

ARRGGGGHHHH!!! I'm soooooo tired!

But it is so rewarding so I'll persevere! (Might come on hre to have a good old moan to you all though)

• Hi All

I have been breastfeeding but i have SO much milk and the flow is too fast Isla ends up choking and then my boobs are like rocks and get soooo sore so i am expressing my milk now.

I find this has also helped her routine and sleeps a lot better at night as i can see how much she is getting.

How long do you think you will b feed for?

Even with the pump im finding it hard as i have so much milk my boobs are so sore.

xx
  • I'm planning on exclusively breast feeding till 3 months! then think I'm going to combine till 6 months image

gonna play it by ear though! may not want to stick to that completely.

xxx
  • Hi ladies!

This is the third one I've BF and I'd forgotten how much it can HURT lol.

Imogen is feeding that often that when she was weighed yesterday she'd put on 5.5 oz, in just over four days!!! I too have LOADS of milk and she finds it hard to latch at times, then when she does get it it's so sore and she's even drawn blood from my nipples, which scared me half to death when she threw up blood the other day until I realised it was mine!

Anyway, Sarah, once she settles into a routine your supply should level out, it tends to peak when your milk comes in as baby feeds so much when only getting the colostrum, you just need to hang in there, but expressing loads can give a false indication of how much milk you need to produce.

I've been and bought some breast nurse pads from boots that are gel filled and you can put in the fridge or freezer to ease engorged breasts, you put them in your bra and they really are quite soothing.
  • Hi folks,

We're combined feeding with formula and expressed breastmilk after having mega latch issues and with a toddler and an extension I just don't have the energy for perseverence coupled with the baby blues which have hit quite hard again - mostly because of the latch fail (I got them bad last time too for the same reason when we ended up formula feeding).

Can't say how long we'll keep this going as mood is currently taking me over a bit.

Some advice from a good friend who has had painful boobs is putting savoy cabbage leaves in your bra from the fridge. She's done this for 2 kids now and swears by it. Just passing it on!

Congrats on all your little ones!

Clare x
  • Hi girls

My first post in BIJ, congrats to you all and your lovely babies.

It's good to read this thread I have struggled initially with BF as well, Lottie kept falling asleep, midwife put us on feeding bootcamp to make sure she fed regularly every 3 hours. I had to literally undress her to make her cold and wake her up to feed! Been getting better last couple of days she is now demand feeding which although exhusting is good to see and regular poos and wees now (sorry if TMI). I have had sore nipples and can definitely confirm that the Savoy cabbage leaves work - although I have to make sure I wash my boob afterwards since Lottie doesn't like the smell!!!! LOL!

Hope we all get some sleep tonight image

Babysteps + Lottie

1 week old today xx
  • ooooh tickle her ear when she falls asleep... or her feet... it works a treat on Oliver xx
  • hi all...thought it was time to get my butt into the BIJ forum now that Mia is just over a week old...I'm breastfeeding, and Mia has taken to it like a pro, fair play, although we have an issue with one boob, and I wondered whether anyone else has had the same? Mia is fine and dandy on the right boob, and although she only feeds for a maximum of 15 minutes at a time, every 3 hours generally, she seems to be getting enough considering her nappies and the fact that she managed to put on 5oz between Tuesday and Friday last week!!!

My problem is that there seems to be an issue with the left boob...she has had some sickly episodes after feeding from it, with bad diarrhoea and vomiting a different sort of vomit to the normal stuff I get from the right one. She gets very snuffly and wheezy and seems to be clearing her throat after feeding from it....none of this happens from the right boob. I gave up using it and started expressing the milk from it and simply throwing it away as my OH had researched that there could be something wrong with the milk....Mia was also turning her nose up at the breast, latching on but instantly coming off as if there was something she didn't like. The mw says I'm talking shite and says I'm to simply keep putting Mia to the breast and that I'll dry the supply up if I keep expressing and throwing it away....which I think is nonsense?? Anyway, after trying her on the left breast again yesterday, we had another sickly episode which is far too coincidental for our liking.

Will it harm Mia to just feed from one breast? Will she get enough milk? And what will happen to the left one if it is simply expressed and the milk thrown away?

Any help would be appreciated ....

Good to be back with you guys and hope you are all enjoying every minute of your babies...I know we are!! xx