Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011

my late BS WARNING its long lol

Hey everyone!

Sorry i havnt been on in a while, havnt really had much time to myself lol, this is the first time i have had my laptop on since JDs arrival 16 days ago lol!! I only manage to go on facebook on my phone while im feeding him lol!!

Hope everyone is well, and im loving seeing all the lil ones on facebook, us January girls have defo produced a beautiful bunch of babies!! image

Anyway, gonna quickly do my BS before JD wakes up for his 90th feed of the day lol.

Thursday 20th Jan

I was due to be induced the next day, so to fill my day up so i was knackered and slept well i went into town and did a lot of walking about with my mam, something felt different but i didnt mention it to anybody, it was like i knew something was gonna to start, but i just put it down to excitement for the next day. Anyway, got home at bout half 4-5ish, and really didnt feel right, felt a bit sickly etc... decided to take my mind off how i was feeling so me and my mam had a try of putting the car seat in the car at about 6ish. I was sat in the back trying to work out which way the seatbelt went over the carseat when i felt quite a wet feeling 'down there', to which i looked at my mam and was like 'either ive just weed myself or my waters have went!!' lol. i went to the toilet to check, it didnt smell like wee, and defo wasnt discharge, but i was still unsure of whether it was my waters, so i put a pad on, and turned to facebook, BE and google lol. Put on facebook that i'd left a message on here and needed advice, and the general consensus was that it was probs my waters, i went to the toilet again and there was a splodge of mucus plug about the size of 50p aswell. So i phoned the labour ward, they told me to monitor the sanitary pad for an hour and if it was soaked through to phone back. So i did this, and an hour later i was onto the second soaking pad. Phoned back and they asked me to come up to get checked out. My mam had just finished making the tea so i asked if i was alright to have my tea and that first lol, which was fine.

Got up to hospital at bout 9ish, at this point i wasnt getting any pains or anything lol. The took me to the induction room, examined me etc and told me it was only my hind waters that had went. I was then hooked upto the ECG monitors to keep a check on baby and left alone til about 10.30pm and asked if id prefer to just stay in as i was being induced in the morning anyway. So i said yeah i may aswell. So they gave me a pessary to soften my cervix and left me and my mam alone to get some rest, and the midwife said she'd be back at 9am to break my waters. We got hardly any sleep lol but my mam kept me in hysterics all night haha.

Friday 21st Jan

Next morning, my mam left to get freshened up and that and my OH Danny came to stay with me, 9am came and went with no sign of midwife, then at half 11 she came to apoligise that no one had came as they'd been busy. She took me from the induction room to the labour room, set me up on the ECG monitors to monitor baby and said somebody would be round at 1pm to break my waters...

My mam came back at about 1pm and we waited and waited, then finally at about 3pm-ish a lovely midwife called Kara came to break my waters, that hurt quite a bit, i was offered gas & air but said no as i wanted to cope as well as poss without it first, although she did catch me with the little hook bit on the end when she was pulling it out!! ouch! She then told me that she would leave me for 2 hours to get some food etc and see if my contractions started naturally now that she had broke my forewaters. About 6 minutes and half a sandwich later Kara came back in with the syntocin drip and told me to stop eating and that they were starting me straight away instead of waiting to see if i start. So i was hooked up, and i sat on the birthing ball. The drip was started at 1ml...nothing happened... then half an hour later 2ml....nothing happened.... then half an hour later 4ml...still nothing... half an hour later 8ml.... then holy s**t i started get contractions out of no where! 5-6 massive ones every 10 minutes!! When Kara came back she put it back down to 4ml, and i decided to lie on the bed instead, on my left as the midwife told me that was a good labouring position. Even though the contractions had settled to 3 every 10 minutes they were starting to really hurt. Kara then did an internal examiniation to see how i was doing and told me i was 4cms and that everything was looking good! after a few more intense contractions i gave in and ask for the gas and air. After the first few sucks i was a bit high lol, and my mam and OH thought it was hilarious that inbetween contractions i was saying 'look, my eye is twitching, its cuz im tired, and look now my lips are twictching' lol (they really were though!!) the next few hours were a bit of a blur, i remember crying cuz my back was hurting so bad, my leg was numb with pain of the pressure making my sciatica excruciating. Eventually, i gave in an asked for an epidural. By this point a new midwife was on duty, she was called Frances, and she said she'd examine me first to see how i was doing. Turns out i was 8cms yay! She then went and got the doctor, and told me i'd have to turn and sit up with my back straight to put the epidural in. This was total agony, my back had totally locked up off being on my side for the last few hours and when i finally managed to sit up on the edge of the bed, with the help of my mam bless her, it was agony trying to sit straight inbetween immense contractions. The epidural had to go higher than it normally would because of the scar tissue off my back ops, and i'd already been warned that it would either not work at all, or wouldnt work as well as it should because of my scar tissue etc. It worked enough to take the edge of my contractions, so that i was conscious enough to talk and make sense lol. By this time it was 10pm and i remember asking Frances whether she thought baby would be here 21st or 22nd. To which she said early hours of 22nd...

At about 10.50pm my mam went for the first cigarette she'd had since bout 2pm while Frances examined me again as i was feeling the need to push, She said i wouldnt be ready but she'd check anyway, how wrong was she! She told me i was 10cms but not to push, and to relax as it would take a while... but then she beeped for the doctor and the monitor started beeping, the doctor came in and next thing there both telling me that baby is getting distressed and i need to go to theatre to have an assisted delivery, at which point i absolutely panicked and begged Frances to let me have a try at pushing him out naturally, while this was happening my OH phoned my mam and told her to hurry and get back in, at 11.01pm Frances then let me have try pushing baby out and 16 minutes and 3 massive pushes later Jack Darren Dobson was born at 11.17pm, weighing 7lb 10 and half ounces!! My OH nearly wet himself when he realised baby was a boy!! He then cut the cord, by which point i was crying lol. my OH went outside to tell my poor dad, who'd been waiting in the car out in the carpark almost all day!

We were kept in til the sunday as a precaution as it had been longer than 24 hours from my hind waters going on the thursday evening and JD being born on the friday night. But everything was fine and we are now settled in at home, JD is a lttle hungry horace, and must be going through a growth spurt these past few days as he's feeding every 1-2 hours for an hour at a time!! lol

Anyway, hope everyone else is well, ive loved esperiencing the ups and downs of my first pregnancy with you all, and im looking forward to experiencing JD's ups and downs and his 1sts with all you lovely ladies image

Chez and Jack-Darren (16 days) xxx