Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011

Making up bottles ....

Right, I know I've read a thread on bottle feeding somewhere on this site ... I find it easier to come straight to this forum as I know where I am then.

Basically, we saw the HV today and she told us that we're making up the bottles wrong. We're filing the kettle with fresh water, boiling it, etting it cool and then filling our sterelized bottles up to the level required.

She told us that we need to be doing this routine before every feed as we should not be re-heating the water when we come to feeding babs. We were just adding the powder b4 the feed and standing the bottle in warm water to bring the temp up.

Does any1 know of any good research on this ?? She told us to make life easier we should use catrons at night, and when we go out. I feel that as should basically just use catrons al day as who wants to leave their baby cry for 40 mins as you have to follow this routine !!

This is yer another blow as I've not being able to breastfeed image

Katy

Replies

• I was given the same advice as you by the midwives and health visitors, but have chosen to stick with my own way. Like you, I boil the kettle, let it cool for 1/2 hour, then fill the sterilised bottles. I then let them cool down and put them in the fridge. When it comes to use them, I warm the bottle in my warmer, then add the milk powder. This was the way I prepared them with my son and he was fine. Rebekah hasn't been ill from doing it this way. The problem I have is that when she is hungry she wants to be fed straight away...not wait 45 mins! I don't undersand why they have changed it, as it seems to go against feeding on demand. The other problem I have is when they recommend using the premade cartons...can you imagine how much hat would cost.

I did read something interesting though...someone said that the harder they make bottle feeding, then more Mums would breast feed. I wish I could breast feed, but it has never worked that way with either of my children.

Don't beat yourself up about it, I think you need to do what you are comfortable with. X
  • Hi. I just thought I would add what my HV and midwife told me as it works for us and its a bit quicker than waiting for it all to cool down and then reheat.

Basically, I boil the kettle and fill the bottles up to the 2oz/60ml line. I then put them in the fridge and when Lorelei is hungry, boil a small amount of fresh water and fill it up to the 3oz/90ml line and add the powder. This makes it room temp and takes seconds to do - obviously you can make it warmer by adjusting the amount of water you originally put in the bottle to suit how you want it.

I was also told that when Lorelei has constipation, use a carton of milk as it goes through them a little easier and helps everything along better than the powdered milk.

Hope all of that makes sense x
  • ooh...I've no idea on this, sorry...but I've certainly seen your method used at work with visiting mothers. I've even stood a bottle of pre-made formula in hot water to warm it up for a client myself....what does the hv want you to do then?

As for the cartons...it does seem like the easiest thing to do especially when you're trying to placate a hungry baby while you wait for kettles to boil etc. Are they different to the powders?

Have you been to the 'bottle feeding' forum on this site? may have some pointers for you there...

love to the family xx
  • Hiya.

I've been making up my bottles 3 at a time and keeping them in the fridge. So i follow the instructions on the pack. Boil the kettle with fresh water, leave to cool. Then add water and formula to make correct amount. Then i cool the bottles under a running tap and put them in the fridge.

I make 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening so they are not sat for too long but i've been told they will keep for 24 hours. I think 24hrs is too long. Thats what i've been doing and maisie's fine. When she's ready i just warm the bottle in a jug of boiling water. Even then she goes mad waiting.

I've also bought flask and powder jars so that if i'm out i will make it up fresh with the hot water. Or i use a carton but the cartons don't agree with my little one.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi,

I do the same - i sterilise my bottles and boil the kettle in the morning. let it cool slightly and the fill my bottles. i leave them on the kitchen side and just add the powder before i feed. i dont re-heat as oscar will drink cold milk (and its easier like that for when we are out), but my friend re-heats her bottle in the microwave!

Ive also heard of people fully making up the bottles (ie adding the powder) and keeping them in the fridge until needed (I read that made up bottles can be kept in the fridge, but only for 1hr at room temperature).
  • hi,

I don't know of any research about it but I had to revert to formula with my son when he was three months as he wouldn't take my milk, so can offer my way of doing it, though that was probably wrong too!

I used to make the bottles up as we went along. I would boil the kettle when he was hungry, cool it under running water/stood in a jug of cold water, add the powder and feed him. When out and about I'd make it up hot and put it in a thermal pouch to it cooled gradually. I think as long as bubs is happy and it fits your routine then carry on how you do it. Tell the HV minimal info, mine has even tried telling me how to BF even though I have fed two babies before and know how to do it! I just smile and nod lol
  • My son is 20 months old and when he was a baby you had to heat water up let it cooll for 20mins pour it in bottle then add the powder when you needed it and heat it up. Now my friend has just told me this way of doing things, when my other son was a baby you had to make up the feeds in the morning keep them in the fridge for 24hours and re heat them as needed. Now neither of my boys are poorly or have ever had any problems. As someone says I think they are just trying to make formula feeding difficult.
  • I make mine the same as you except we don't warm as baby prefers it at room temp.

She has been fine on it.

Dont stress yourself over it hub. If you baby is fine and it works for you then it's fine!! That's how I see it anyway!!! Lol!!

Xxx
  • I think your right in saying that they want to make bottle feeding as hard as possible so more mam's breast feed. I really wanted to BF, but obviously things didn't go our way and the decision to BF was in the best interest of our son. I hate seeing the bottle in his mouth but hey ho ... move on.

Basically what their saying now is that you should not re-heat the water ... so today I gave it a go ... in between eating my own food, visitors and "resting" ... it's really difficult to time, especially when babs is feeding between 3 1/2 and 5 hours ... how can you time things exact, especially when they promote baby led feeding ???

I think we're going to have to just plod on through preparing the bottles a mixture of ways ... the right way as much as possible, and an easier way for night feeds.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I've just realised I've not put a baby storry on this ... I take it I write it in the other chat page ... "my baby is due Jan 11" ??

Katy
  • Hi we boil the kettle put the water in the sterlised bottles and let them cool down then when Caitlin is hungry add the formula then - she doesn't seem to like hot milk so this works for us and its ready after a few mins once all the frothy stuff has settled down

Hope you find a way that works for you

Jen x