Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011

Very loooong BS.

I was given a sweep on Wednesday 19th January, when I was 7 days overdue and really hoped that it would start things off. That afternoon, I had a show later that afternoon, and got really excited! I really thought that once I'd had the show that things would happen...but no. All that afternoon and the next day, I kept losing my plug, but still nothing happened. By the time Saturday came around, I had changed my mind and actually wanted to be induced! Everyone kept saying that being induced wasn't the best thing to happen, but it would be ideal for our son Joshua. I managed to hang on all weekend and by the time Sunday night came around I started to get really nervous! I think I managed about 2 hours sleep that night!! Monday morning actually turned out really well. I phoned the labour ward at 7am and they told me to come in about 8.30am. Joshua woke up about 7.30 and we all had a really nice breakfast together. We then all got dressed and I was able to spend some time playing and watching Cbeebies with him which was really nice. My Mum came over at 8am and took over. We explained to Joshua that we had to go to hospital to get Rebekah and he was fine about it. We had a cab booked, so at 8.15 we said goodbye and set off. I was a bit emotional, but also really excited. Fast forward and when I arrived at the hospital, we had a chat with the midwife and they wired me up to the monitors for 20 mins. Everything was fine, so the doctor came in and broke my waters. I thought things would just start to happen, but I was told to go and have something to eat and a walk. So off we went to the hospital caf???? - Rob had a cooked breakfast, but I could only manage toast. All I could feel at that time was a feeling that I was due to start my period, but nothing else. We walked around the grounds for about ???? hour, bought a magazine and then headed back to the labour ward - still nothing happening! I got back to my room about 11.30 and started watching This Morning. They had decided to change me to a more senior midwife and she came and sat with us. I was then hooked up to the Syntocinon. We then all sat watching TV and having a laugh. I remember Loose Women starting and getting slightly stronger twinges. All the time I was losing fluid, but no major pains yet! I really needed to go to the toilet at this point, so the unhooked me from the monitors. I came back from the toilet and was then suddenly gripped with an intense contraction!! I grabbed hold of Rob and couldn't move. I was quickly hooked back up to the monitor and the midwife got me to sit on a stool and lean over the bed. All I can say is that the contractions then started coming thick and fast! The problem was that each contraction was hitting me in the base of my spine and the pain was unbelievable. I kept taking the gas and air but it didn't seem to be doing anything...or so I thought. Things then start to get a bit hazy...I was asked if I wanted more pain relief and they offered me Pethadine. I took a medium dose and an anti-sickness jab as well (last time I had Pethadine it made me really ill). This didn't seem to have any effect and I couldn't seem to get past 9cms! I then started to get the urge to push, but the pain in my back was unbearable, the gas and air kept spacing me out and I was sooo tired. I was on the bed on my back and I knew that it was the worst position to labour in, but I couldn't move! I kept pushing and nothing was happening...this was when it all came back about how everything went wrong last time. That was when I stopped. I asked for a doctor, demanded that he cut me open and use forceps to get the baby out. Rob said I was adamant that was what I wanted! I do remember parts, but a lot of it is hazy....loved that gas & air! I do remember refusing to push however, and every time I felt a contraction, I grabbed the gas and air and breathed through it! Then it all goes hazy again...next thing I know I came back down from the gas and air and I was pushing and could feel the head coming down. (Also, I now had 2 midwives in the room...don't know where the 2nd one came from?!) It took me about another 5 minutes and she was out! They delivered her straight onto me and I was overwhelmed! I didn't even know if we'd had a boy or girl...we were both in tears ...it was the most amazing feeling ever. The biggest shock came later when they told me that the baby they had predicted would be 8lbs was actually 10lb 5ozs!! Also, my official time in labour was 1hour 59mins!

After such a quick labour and large baby, I ended up staying in for 4 days. I lost nearly 2 litres of blood and had intensive stitching. I had to stay on recovery for 24 hours to receive blood transfusions and anti-biotics. I was unable to pick Rebekah up and had to rely on the midwives to do everything for her. He hardest thing was that Joshua wasn't allowed to come and see me until I was sent to the ward. I'd never spent a night away from him before and he didn't fully understand.

Anyway, sorry to have gone on for so long, even though it was a super quick birth, a lot happened in that short time.

Thank you for reading...if you managed to get this far! X

Replies