Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hungry baby on Formula?!?

Hey ladies,

I was just wondering who is formula feeding and how much your babies are taking in one sitting? My little boy is 3 weeks old today and we have just upped the amount to 5oz, admittedly he hasnt take a full 5 in one sitting yet but he always clears the 4 and a bit more! Is this right?!?! He isnt sicky either, do i just have a little piggy?!?!?!

xxx

Replies

• Hey hun my little man is 3 weeks old tomorrow and clears 4oz bottles as well so we usually make a bit more in case he wants it. Usually he takes two goes at his bottle (with a 10 minute power nap in between!!) and usually drinks 125ml over the space of an hour. Suppose we can't complain that our baies are hungry little monsters!!
  • How many feeds a day are your lo having? Oscar is 6 weeks now and has 5oz at a time (and guzzles it in 20min or so!), and he is still having 7-8 feeds a day, which seems a lot when the formula box says he should be on 5oz 5 times a day!
  • What forula are you on huni? Tyler is on the SMA Hungry newborn baby milk ( tin with blue lid) and for his weight he should be taking 4oz every 3 to 4hours yet he is taking 5oz and we will be really lucky if he lasts 3hours! He also takes water inbetween feeds!

I called health visitor today as its getting me really worried he is drinking so much on hungry baby milk aqnd she has suggested i take him to GP in the morning even if it just puts my mind at rest that he is ok! Some babies are just hungry she says but even to me this seems too much! (would you believe i came online to ask advice on this very topic!)

Yla + a very hungry Tyler 19days! XX
  • Awww thanks ladies, its nice to know my little man isnt the only piggy!

I have got him Aptimal, i know they do a hungry baby one which i may get a couple of the ready made cartons just in case i need it.

xx
  • I'm using aptamil as well. I just bought hungry baby today so we are going to try it tonight to see if it makes a difference-I'll let you know!
  • Hi,

I have this same worry - Noah is on hipp organic and at 8 weeks old he is taking 5oz every 2-3 hours. I too have been worried he is taking too much - he was only 6lb 14oz when he was born but at 7 week weigh in he was a very chunky 11lbs!! HV has said not to worry he will only take what he needs and he obviously needs a lot. But I think a lot of it is comfort sucking/eating as he tries to find his thumb and can't and then gets very stressed resulting in a bottle being the only thing to calm him. I'm not keen on a dummy but unless he finds his thumb soon I may try that to see if it calms him and keeps him going longer between feeds - It's not easy when I can't even pop to town without him screaming half way round as he wants a bottle/comfort!

Have any of you tried a dummy or has your lo found their thumb?