Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011

Contraception

Hi Ladies,

I know a lot of us probably won't even be thinking about this yet!!, but, was just wondering what you were going to do contraception wise??

We have started to BD already and have been careful but I'm confused with all the different options! Before DD1 I was on the combined pill and went back on it but had break through bleeding and quite painful periods so I stopped it and fell pregnant with Ava.

I was thinking about the implant but have heard a lot of negativity regarding that, has anyone had the implant before and had problems?

Thanks for any advice image

Sarah xx

Replies

• Hi hun, have to admit that we were naughty and started again after two weeks. We had been using condoms but am now on the mini pill (only one you can use while BFing), when I remember to take it lol.

I don't have any experience with any other contraception unfortunately, the other forms just don't appeal to me.

Long term I'm considering sterilisation lol
  • To be honest I was planning just to go back on the pill I was n ... Yasmin, but was going to discuss it at my 6 week check .... been to tired to think about it properly ... and the knock n effect of that is being way to tired to even think about doing the deed again just yetimage
  • We havnt done anything yet but have started to talk about what to use when it does happen ( oh is more worried about doing it after forcepts delivery and 3rd degree tear I would be happy to give it a go soonimage )I have the depo injection years ago and i liked it but it didnt like me. I did take the pill ( what one i cant remember) but when we decided to start TTC it took us sooo long to get a BFP and i think being on the pill helped slow us down (along with a few other problems on my side) so i dont really want to do that again so i am sooo confussed what to do now. Will have a chat about it at my check up and i suppose if anything happens before we will just rely on condoms (must get some in ready just encase hahaimage )

XX
  • I had two implants before I was pregnant as they were fab. Hardly had any periods and when I did I had little pain (I normally have bad pains) and it was hardly a bleed. The only effects were that I had more outbreaks in spots. I'm having another one put in this wed, but I have been told they have slightly changed it, so I'll have to wait and see about the effects.

My friend had the implant, however she bleed all the time so she had it taken out.

I think it depends on each person.
  • This is something me and the oh are currently 'discussing'.....

I was on the depo jab for 13 years before coming off to get pregnant, but the recommended limit is only 2 years so not sure I'd be able to get that again....image

I was also considering the implant but can't find any positive stories so gonna steer clear of that one!

I was thinking of asking for an IUS, but the oh isn't keen on having a 'foreign body up there', as he puts it!! :lol:

We have been really naughty this week tho, and have gone with withdrawal....oops!! Working so far, but I know there's massive risks, so a trip to the chemist tomorrow I think!!

Gonna discuss options with doc at check-up next week...
  • Hey.

I am going to get the mirena coil. It was always fab when I had it in the past.

The only side affect I've heard of with the implant is weight gain.

I really want to have relations with hubby again but I currently have a fissure (sorry fir the info!!lol) and it's putting me off.

I would happily be sterilised but docs have said no and hubs went and was told we have to wait until Aleia is 1yr!!

Mjc

Xx
  • hi mjc.....the mirena is what I'm thinking of....do you know if you can have it straight away or do you have to wait for periods to return? xx
  • Hiya Hun!

At my docs you have to wait for the first day of your monthly and book it in for 5 days later. Apparently its best to put it in at the end of the bleeding.

I really like it as I am rubbish at remembering to take the pill!! Lol!!

Xx
  • ooo...don't wanna be waiting that long to have it done!! monthlies could be aaaaaaages away as still bf'ing.... reckon I'll ask for thejab againas it works well for me, even tho hubby against it as he thinks it takes too long to get out of system if we TTC again..... a BIG if on my part!!!

thanks for the help x
  • Hey Earwig ... if you don't make that trip to the chemist soon you may be having a second sner than you thought if you don't get the timing rightimage
  • We were using good old fashioned natural methods but now I'm having to seriously think about what to use as there is no way am I taking any risks of falling pregnant again! I wanted us to go in and have everything snipped, tied, blocked whatever but dude refuses and after doing some reading up I'm chickening out too lol

I'd have to have another section of had a third and I seriously can't face that again, as well as all the worries adn stresses of pregnancy- not one of mine was straightforward! I know this sounds vain but I don't care, I'm ary of pill or injection cos I don't want to put on loads of weight :lol:

Will be having a serious chat at 6 week check but as I've not healed properly we haven't done the deed yet so no worries there
  • lol KTJ.....I've put the brakes on his antics for now as it was worrying me so much...he can wait another week or so til I get my jab...it won't kill him!! He is SOOOOOO insistent on trying for number 2 already, but I've told him to hold his horses!! Help me!! xx
  • Oh my god really earwig!! Crikey!! Lol!! You've only just had this baby!!!

Luckily for me my hubs is more than happy to wait for relations until protected!!! Lol!! We have our 2 babies and that is it now!!

My first monthly is starting I think so not long to go!! Lol!!

Xx
  • I had the implant for just over a year and i HATED it, i bled pretty much all the time, sometimes really heavy sometimes not so heavy, but it was like 7-10 weeks constant bleeding and then a week or 2 off, then weeks of bleeding again!! wouldnt personally recommend it to anyone, but my friend has it and after a year of constant bleeding she perseveered and her periods settled to regular... my doctor told me to give it time to settle but i thought a year was a bit ridiculous!!

Hope your all well btw image dont really have time to go on the laptop these days lol

Chez and JD (almost 5 weeks!!!) xx
  • mjc...this man of mine thinks a house full of babies would be a great idea....bloody idiot!!

I have won my stay of execution though....phew....he's agreed to wait until our little Mia is a year old before trying again, IF I decide to go for number 2 at all. Told him to be grateful for the bundle of cuteness we already have and to enjoy her babyhood while he can. I win!!! So I'll be going back on the jab as soon as I can, and until then...he has a choice, get to the chemist or keep his hands to himself!!! :lol:

xx