Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

expressing milk

how soon can u express i just wanna do one bottle to night so my mum can feed so i can get six hours sleep my macey is 3 weeks old today

Replies

• as far as I'm aware, there's no timescale for expressing. I was expressing from one breast in the first week due to a problem....hv's had no prob with it and it worked out okay. I'm back to breastfeeding with no expressing now, and Mia is 5 weeks now xx

enjoy your sleep!!!
  • i started expressing for a night time bottle when oscar was around 8 or 9 days. there isnt a set time you can start expressing, but some people find that it effects their milk supply if you dont breastfeed at every feed, and that lo may start to prefer the bottle to breast. i didnt find this, but have since stopped breastfeeding completely and fully formula feed.
  • I expressed after just a few days with all my three and had no problems.

I've given up on hoping for sleep lol
  • I'm holding off for 6 weeks this time but only because that's when I go home and hope to have a few drinks- there's not been any need for me to do so at the minute. I don't think there is a rule as such, it is recommended you wait until milk is established but I expressed after 2 or 3 weeks first time and had no issues