Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeding question

Hey.

I put a thread in baby re Aleia's feeding as I know a lit of you are breast feeding but I'll ask here too!!

Aleia is almost 6 weeks and is having 6oz of hungry milk every 5 hours. This works out at 30oz. Do you think this is enough!!

We changed her to hungry milk on Monday as she started to get very unsettled and hungry every 2-3 hours but never seemed full.

Since we changed it she has been much happier and content.

Last night she fed at 10.30, went back to bed at 12 and slept till 7am!! So clearly the milk is filling her up.

I worry though as she is still young!! She us the opposite to how my son was!! Lol!

We have always been baby led and even at birth she fed every 3 hours!! Lol!!

What do you ladies think?? Am at baby clinic tomorrow so going to ask them too!!

Xx

Replies

• Options
    She would soon let you know if it wasn't enough.

All babies are different, I am BF Harry, but he wakes at 6 and feeds then goes 5hrs till his next (and I am fit to burst lol) he will then go every 3 hrs ish til evening then sleep for 5hrs till 6 am, my first was every 4 hrs to the clock, my second (although it felt like it was non stop) every 2 and the 3rd had no pattern at at all.

You know your baby best, and it sounds like you are both quite happy at the mo, its not for anyone, even the HV, to tell you what to do
  • Options
    I'd have no clue about formula amounts as such sorry but am a firm believer that your baby tells you when they're hungry and so long as seem happy and have wet nappies then there's no need to worry image

You're doing a great job x
  • Options
    I agree with the other ladies hun. Though I have no idea about formula feeding I'd say if Aleia is feeding, is putting on weight and is having plenty of dirty and wet nappies then I wouldn't worry. I was sat next to someone at baby clinic last week though and thee HV was telling her that baby needs 20oz a day, so if that's right then 30 is plenty lol
  • Options
    Hi yes I would say thats fab amount!! I have also put zander on hungry baby has he was wonting fed every 2hours taking 3-4oz I could not keep it up way heidi needing so much of my time.so now he is taking about 4-5oz every 3-4hours in day with one 3am feed at night! It's wourking really well for us at mo! So he is takin between 20-30oz a day.

With heidi I bf her at first then had to go onto hungry babys as she was very greedy (still is!!!)

but I say ur doing gr8 u know ur baby n what's best!!

Xx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!

Saw health visitor today and had her weighed and she is 11lb 4oz!!

They are happy with her feeding so all good!

She's poorly today though with cough and cold which her big bro has kindly passed on to us all!! He's fine today though! Lol!!

Xx
  • Options
    Hey hun,

I know you have now seen the HV but just wanted to say i am also bottle feeding, my little one is a month old now and has suddenly started going back to having 4-5oz every 2-3 hours! its crazy! He was just taking 5oz then going anything from 3-4 hours, im hoping this is just a growth spurt and will calm down very soon!

xx