Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else still finding it tough?

Hey ladies,

Just wondering if anyone else is struggling to get a routine going?

Charlie will be 8 weeks on Friday and everything is still so hit and miss with him! I don't know if it's because i'm breastfeeding him where as with my first I only breast fed for 3 weeks and then switched to formula.

I seem to be feeding irregularly throughout the day but probably about 4 - 5 times for about 20 mins at a time. It's the night times that are hard though. By 8 weeks my first was going through from about 11pm util 6 or 7am but Charlie wakes every 2 hours! And after i've fed him he won't settle back in his cot so to stop him from crying his head off I end up putting him in bed with me. Trouble is I'm not getting more than 2 hours sleep at a time and once Charlie is in bed with me I'm paranoid about the covers going over his head or squashing him so I don't sleep!

I'm soooooooo tired! I'm enjoying breastfeeding and express milk every now and then so I can go out etc but I'm just wondering if combining formula feeding might make things a bit more settled? Maybe if I made his last feed before bed a formula bottle and then breast fed him during the day?

Any ideas anyone (or if not, some sympathy would do - i'm completely exhausted!)

Thx ladies

:cry:

Lisa x

Replies

• Options
    Caitlin is 5 weeks old today and is on formula but she still wants feeding every 2 hours including the nights which makes me very tired as OH works shifts and leaves at 4 in the morning every other week

Sometimes she only takes a couple of ounces so I know it will be a also only a couple of hours before she wants feeding again but she won't take anymore milk for love nor money!

This is my 3rd so you would think by now I would know how to do it!!

Jen :roll:
  • Options
    We have no routine whatsoever! But I'm used to that from Lorelei having colic etc Niamh goes at night from 1.5- 3hrs between feeds, some nights just every 3 hours others every 1.5 and others again are a mix, really can't predict and although she'll go down after feed no problem in the day she bucks this trend at night! What's been working for me is when she wakes, I change her, then swaddle her and then feed, I let her fall asleep on me and set her into the cot. I don't know if it's because she likes being swaddled, because blanker has my smell or she's just in a deep sleep but whatever the reason, it's working image

Worth a try at least and if it doesn't work, then I'll send lots of sympathy instead of more advice lol

I'll be thinking of you at 1am...3am...430am.. :lol:
  • Options
    PS

Just realised that sounded a bit stalkerish lol I meant when I'm up doing all the same night feeds i'll be hoping you're having an easier time :lol:

• Options
    im having exactly the same problem! JD is nearly 5 weeks and through the night hes awake every 2-3 hours, except hes feeding for an hour at a time and i keep giving in and putting him in the bed aswell lol... im breastfeeding but tried giving him 3ozs formula mixed with 2ozs expressed for his last feed before settling him in his cot and it made no difference haha!! xx
  • Options
    Hi hun, I do sympathise, we have a similar situation.

Personally I wouldn't go down the formula route, as like the other ladies have said, it may make no difference whatsoever, just every baby is different. both my other two were BF babies but slept through from very early on but Imogen is completely different.

Our system is that I do all the feeds when hubby is working but express some for the weekends so I can catch up on sleep and he can take over.
  • Options
    Lucky you Clareabella- my dude is great don't get me wrong but he likes a drink at weekend to unwind so there's no chance of him doing a night feed! Well he would but i'd not relax with him half cut feeding her lol Ah well
  • Options
    Ah thanks for your advice ladies!

It's just nice to know your not the only one going through it! I feel a bit better today - still a bit zombie like but a happy zombie!

Mummy chop I will happily try the changing - feeding - swaddling thing - anything is worth a go! I'm not too good at swaddling though and Charlie always seems to escape!

Chezmammy - it's nice to know i'm not the only softie that gives in and puts baby in bed! If it means i'm going to get a few extra minutes of sleep I don't care anymore!

I had Charlie weighed yesterday and he's 11lb 12oz so at least I know he's geting enough milk - I just wish he'd start going a bit longer between feeds!

Thank you for all your replies and sympathy - maybe tonight will be beter eh? fingers crossed.....

• Options
    Heya,

im in the same situation too! Im a first time mum and My daughter Megan is 6 weeks old tomorrow (only had her home since 9th Feb tho) and she is breast fed and not in a routine either!

the same as you, sometimes she will only go 2 hours and want feeding again! and then even tho she doesnt want any more milk and has been changed she cries and cries when put back in her moses basket....even if she seems in the deepest sleep when i put her back, she wakes within afew mins!

she doesnt ever do this in the day time tho, only at night.

i could try the swaddeling thing, but she hates being swaddled so i dont think that will work for us image

dont know what else i can do tho!

xxx