Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Our v late birth story! X

My birth story

Sorry it's so late girls! It's been a manic 4 weeks, but here we are!????

I was due to be induced on 31/1, ????2 full weeks after my due date, but Alex had other plans! I went into very early labour at around 1am on the 30th, not realising it at the time as ny contractions were very infrequent period like pains. I always heard that contractions were meant to radiate and be in your bump: mine were alway totally where I get period pains, very low down in my womb, so I didn't know at all until later that day that thats what they were!????

All that Sunday they grew in frequency and strength. We went for a walk which actually stopped them, but as soon as I was back in the house they started again. My mum, dad and granny were all coming down from Scotland to offer us some support that day anyway as I was meant to be getting induced the next day, so they arrived at 5 to find me in the throws of labour, not quite what they were expecting! We kept ringing the hospital as they were 2 - 3 mins apart and very painful, my tens was gradually being cranked up to full, but every time they just told us to wait at home.????

So, we all went out for dinner, not that I managed much, before heading home where I had a bath on the midwives recommendation, and it actually made the pains worse, I think because obviously my tens couldnt be on. Eventually, I took 2 paracetamol and tried to get some sleep, tens firmly attached!????

We didn't sleep much, and my contractions were horrendous about midnight, every 2-3 mins and some of them lasting 5mins or so. I remember saying to hubby I just wished my waters would go so the hospital would have to take us, and when I stood up, they did! I was deliriously happy haha! Hubby got me a pad, I changed my bottoms and he got my mum. Up to that point, I'd been adamant I only wanted hubby with me at hospital, but my mum had been brilliant that day and I suddenly really wanted her there. As it was, the way things went, I'm so, so glad (as is hubby) that she was there.????

When they examined me, they found I was 4cm (yay!) and contracting well. As they strapped me up to monitor and felt for babys position, I had one of the horrible, long contractions, and did a bit of projectile vomiting- bye bye dinner (and probably lunch and breakfast!)! They werent happy with baby's trace so I was kept there for 40mins to see what happened, but there was no improvement. His heart dipped dramatically during each contraction, so my water birth went out the window and I was stuck with my worst nightmare: strapped to a bed continuous monitoring. So, I made the most of it and said I wanted every drug going image diamorphine was brilliant as was the gas and air.????

Everything from here is a bit fuzzy, I think I've blocked it out because it was so bad, but they first put a clip on baby's head, which was fine. However, they weren't happy with that, and so wanted foetal bloods taken. The first lot of these they took after my diamorphine had worn off, when the pethidine wasn't doing a thing for me, and whilst I was waiting to get my epidural. It was, I'm told, agony. I remember after the epidural was in seeing my mum and hubby with the tears rolling down their faces and tryin to comfort them. I had a further 2 lots of foetal bloods taken with the epidural in: didn't feel a thing thankfully.????

I got to 9 1/2 cm within 4 hours, but had a bit of trouble with the last half cm, so needed a top up on the epidural, which failed image I was in serious pain, but got to 10 cm and was able to start pushing. However, wee monkey was having a good wriggle as he came out, and just before crowning went from back to back, to the correct position, to transverse. Due to the last foetal blood results, they wanted to try a forceps delivery which was the only thing I stated in my birth plan I would not consider.????

They tried to persuade me (helpfully, the surgeon who would be doing it said she wasn't confident she'd be able to!), but hubby was a brill advocate even when I was stoned on gas and air and wittering about babies being born with crushed skulls cause of forceps, and they took me down for an emergency section. The surgeon there said there was no way he'd be able to be delivered even with forceps, so I'm glad we refused to try.????

As the Epidural had failed, I had a spinal, which went too far so I had a rather attractive oxygen mask on during the surgery as they were worried it would affect my breathing! Hubby was allowed into theatre literally 30secs before Alexander was born at 14.32 on 31/1.????

All in all, it was pretty horrific, so I'm glad I can't remember most of it. My mum and hubby can, and assure me it's better I don't. I am no way going to try for a natural birth again, will definitely be asking for an elective section next time (already planning no2: memory loss works wonders!), as I couldn't put myself or mum/hub through that again

Alex is so worth it, though. He's a wee angel.

Sorry this was so long!????

Kirsten and Alex, 4 weeks tomorrow!

Replies

• bloody hell, Kirsten....talk about a drama!! Scary stuff....so pleased Alex madeit safe and sound to his mummy....xx
  • It was a bit, but thanks! They're definitely worth the drama, aren't they? image x
  • That sounds sooo scairy huni! I had a forcepts delivery so i am soo glad i didnt ready anything about crushed heads before i had Tyler! Hope you are all doing well and enjoying every min! XX