Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

dummys

how can i get my little girl to take a dummy she a month old and will not take it i breast feed and she had a few bottles and takes them fine it just when im out she can some times want feeding and i cant do it yet so would be good for her to take it also at night she can cry loads for no reson and would be better if she took dummy to confort her xx

Replies

• Options
    have you tried different types of dummies? when we first gave Jude a dummy due to him using me for comfort we gave him a tommy tippee one and he wouldnt take it so I went out and brought a MAM silicone dummy and he took it straight away. I am not sure what the difference was but he has taken them!

Jude sounds the same as your little one. We didnt want to give him a dummy but he was attached to my boob for hours on end and my DH had no time with him.

Hope that helps xx
  • Options
    hiya...we're in a similar boat....Mia occasionally just wants to comfort herself on the boob, which is not conducive to sleeping or having a life, so we have tried her with a tommee tippee dummy on a rare occasion (I am pretty much against the dummy for dental reasons but I'm beginning to see their worth in the comfort stakes!) which she will take to some nights and will have her asleep in 30seconds, and some nights will not work at all....I think mummyS2Be is right in that it might just be a case of trying to find the right dummy teat. Hope you get some rest soon xx
  • Options
    Same thing for us. It takes persistance too to get Lili to take one, moreso if it's me trying to get it in there as she wants to use me to suckle instead. After a few weeks of trying she is taking it more when we try. It's easier when she is calm and not screaming with wind pain (she has colic). For me I find it easiest to lie her on the change table and stroke her head/face and put it in. Anyone else can hold her and do it.

We use the Nuk brand. They are excellent. Less protruding as they are flat on their face, and the teet is orthodontic and shaped more like a nipple.

http://www.nuk.co.uk/nukshape/nuk_soother/index.html?lang=en

I intend to take it away after the colic disappears. My son suffered bad colic and also bad reflux which was til 8mths so he kept his. I wanted to take it away well before Lili arrived but then he had a tough bout of teething and it was too late. Hoping to get rid of it soon, even though it's only for naps if he ever catches sight of it he has to have it or has a complete meltdown. :x So Id recommend geting rid of it sooner than later.

• Options
    ive tryed all the different teats i can find and none of them she like they all make her gag
  • Options
    mummabear... thankyou!

Those dummys are brilliant! haha! I was trying all sorts of dummies to make Oliver keep them in his mouth as he's not very good at it image and those nuk ones have worked a treat! image

xxx
  • Options
    Glad you had some success with Oliver. Now... if only Lili would play ball! She's gone off it again, and the bottle too since I tried to give her some ebm instead of hubby doing it while she was having a bath!! Little minx! She knew the booby was there!! x
  • Options
    i went out today to find the nuk ones and had no luck found some nuby one that are sofe like skin but still no luck as of yet she just hates them and top it of she feeding all day long she going on me for over hour at time i put her down then she wants more been like it for two days now its never ending feeding
  • Options
    I got them on Ebay brand new (obviously!) lol two for a fiver image xx
  • Options
    Hi Abbie

Just wanted to say my baby girl Lottie is having the same trouble at the moment - she is cluster feeding again every evening from 6-10pm and then having trouble settling, really screaming and real tears :cry:

By the time she is asleep at 11pm she wakes again at 1am, 3am and 6am as well

I'm knackered - you have my sympathy hun! xx
  • Options
    feel for u have same with macey she feeds from 8 to 11 none stop then wakes at 3 again at 6 then again 9 its be ok if it was only for little while but she can feed for over and hour some times my mum tired to help by trying to bottle feed her with my milk but she just can not do it