Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleep help??

Hey mummies and babies

How are we all doing?

Aleia is finally over her cold but I have now got it really bad! Have antibiotics for sinus infection which is just lovely!!! Not!!!

Anyway!! Aleia has started doing 6-7 hours sleep at night time from 7/8ish to 1/2ish which isn't a problem except when she decides 2am is play time and refuses to sleep.

Last night she fed at 6pm and was in bed at 7pm. She then slept until 2am but then when j wouldn't play with her ( which was hard as she was chatting and smiling and it was so lovely!!) and I put her in her bed she cried and had a proper strop until 3am!! Luckily little man slept through it!!

Obviously she needs to sleep this long but we also need her to learn 2am is not play time!!

I am all about babyled but I'm wondering if its best to wake her at 11/12ish for feed and then let her sleep after that.

I don't want it to back fire but I also don't want strops at that time of day!! Lol!!

What would you do and do you have any other suggestions???

Xxx

Replies

• oh dear...just like our Mia, who is always at her giggliest and chattiest at 3am! It's soooo difficult to ignore, isn't it?...I always end up having a quick 5 minutes of one-to-one time while I have the chance. image

What I tend to do at this time of the silly early hours is once I know she's grizzling for a feed, I change her bum first, which allows us the few minutes of play time and attention, and then take her back to bed to feed her. Once she's fed and winded, she's then more than ready to go back to her basket.

I'm not sure about the waking her up deliberately, sorry...I've never tried it myself. I tend to be of the opinion that if they're asleep, then leave them alone or you risk the wrath of Khan...I had a friend who used to wake her baby up at around 11pm to feed her, simply because she didn't want the child to go more than 3 hours between feeds, which I didn't think was right, but it's not my child. I would just try to persuade Aleia that it's still the middle of the night! Have you tried giving her a later bedtime? Not sure if that fits with your beliefs or your family life, but our Mia has a bedtime of around 10pm which works for all of us.

Hope little Aleia notices the difference between night and day soon. We got lucky last night and our munchkin actually slept through from midnight to 8am!!! Amazing and bound to be just a one-off!! xx
  • Hi ladies.

seems the jan babies are all getting to be the same lol.

The last few nights Imogen has been the same, we generally put her down between 8-9pm and when she does settle she'll go around four hours but then be awake for the next two and wanting to play, which is difficult when I have to be up for the school run, but you can't be angry when they lay there smiling at you can you?!

I personally don't like to wake them so will just remain zombie-fied until she starts sleeping better
  • I've been trying my best to make sure my wee one has a feed about 10 o'clock, this gets her through to about 4ish (if I'm really lucky she manages through to 6am. She seems to want to stay awake til around 10 naturally, but might be a plan to rouse your wee one around that time and see if you get more sleep?

Hope you are all well xxx
  • Aleia doesn't really have a bed time as such. She generally has her feed between 6 and 8 dependent on the rest of the days feeds!!

It's not every night as such she goes 7-8 hours but more often than not!

The night feed I always get her up and change her nappy before feed Sondheim is suitably awake and should she fall asleep at end of feed she's already changed!!

Im not 100% into the wake up thing!! Always reminds me of friends when Rachel does it!! Lol!! But was curious!!

Think I'll leave her be!!

Clare I totally get the school run thing!! It's nice to when the other mums say Christ Jen you look like hell!! Lol!!

Xx
  • There's a few new babies in my sons class so a few of us looking like hell lol.

I think I must have aged five years in the last few weeks ha ha. All worth it though.
  • lol...I thought I was doing quite well til I saw a neighbour the other day:

Neighbour: hi Chris, how's the little un?

Me: Good, thanks

Neighbour: And how are you?

Me: Doing great, thanks.

Neighbour: Oh, cos you look like sh*t!

There really was no response to that, so I went on with my day feeling like the elephant man! :lol: