Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2011

Feeding getting quicker?

Each feed seems to take less time now - about half an hour (15 mins each boob) instead of an hour before.

Anyone else found this?

Replies

• My Mia has always been a speedy feeder and has never spent more than 15 minutes on a boob...and she only gets one each sitting. I alternate boob to boob, feed to feed, as Mia seems to get enough from just one and in record time! I can express about 7oz from one boob when I need to, so it would appear that fast-food works for us!!!

I reckon he's just becoming more adept at feeding, or your rate of delivery has increased? If he seems content after a feed and is still settling for the same amount of time as before, before he needs his next feed, I would imagine that he's still getting plenty. Maybe get him weighed weekly for now to put your mind at rest?

Good luck and enjoy your extra spare time! I would be devastated if Mia fed for a whole hour at a time....talk about intensive care! xx
  • Imogen is pretty much the same as Mia, with very rare exception feeding is usually 10-15 mins and she'll go for 3-4 hours, but I know my milk is plentiful and comes out really quick, like Chris I can express 6-7oz off one breast in no time at all without really trying.

All mums and babies are different and feeding changes as they get older too. All three of mine have been different so I wouldn't stress about it.

Cx
  • lol! Just paint us black-and-white and call us Daisy, eh Clare???? Mooooooooo :lol:
  • Moooo indeed. ha ha.

Getting a bit fed up of covering the furniture with milk now because it comes out so fast immy lets go and we then have a fountain lol. Luckily it's a leather sofa.
  • i was told it should get quicker but so far its not got that much quicker, sometimes Megan will be content after 20 mins, other times it 40 mins! maybe thats kuz megans playing catch up with her growth so still needs more? she is below 0.4% centile still at the mo!

and she can go anything between 1-4 hours!

can i ask clare and chris what pump you are using to express? and how often and when etc.

everyhime i express using tommee tippee elec pump i only get about 3 or 4oz...and i dont seem to find time because if i express when i am full then megan needs feeding, and if i express after a feed there isnt really anything there!!

when megan was in NICU the hospital lent me a elec medela pump which was loads better than tommee tippee.

sorry Mrs_eee ive kind of taken over ur post by asking lots more questions!!

xxx
  • hi Sian...with regards to expressing, I've not done it lots of times....only to try and encourage Mia to take a bottle or in the early days when my boobs were about to explode!!

I use a Tommee Tippee closer to nature manual pump, and it takes about 10-15 mins to get at least 6oz. At the moment, I tend to express first thing in the morning. Mia generally has a feed at either 6am or 7am, so I feed her off one boob, then immediately express off the other one, ready for my OH to try and feed her later on. By the time Mia needs her next feed around 9 or 10am, either boob is ready for her again.

As I understand it, everyone is different and your boobs adjust to the needs of the indvidual baby as well. So I guess if one baby takes about 6oz, then the boob adjusts to the needs of that baby, but if a smaller baby, like your Megan, only needs about 3 or 4oz at each feed, your body probably adjusts to that naturally.

Sounds like Megan is doing well, though! Great stuff! image