Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I think I have lost my marbles!!!

I am loving being a mummy to (in my opinion) the most gorgeous little girl in the world and I dont want anything to change that at all BUT... I have decided I am totally and utterly mental!! My hubby and I have talked about our next one and decided that it should really be in 3-5 years time as hopefully our money will be better and we can afford a bigger place to live, but people keep asking me when I am having my next one (Lorelei is only 6 weeks!!) and they all have the opinion that a 18 month age gap should be the maximum?! and at first I thought they should all just keep their opinions to themselves but now... I feel sad that I wont be having another baby for 5 years. I miss being pregnant and I am not saying that I want a baby NOW but I am so jealous of my friends that are just finding out they are pregnant and going through all the exciting things that we have just been through. Yep!! MENTAL! I had a traumatic birth (apparently) but I felt it was fantastic and I cant wait to do it again. It was the most amazing experience of my life and I cant stop thinking about it. I can remeber every single detail right down to the song that was playing on the radio when she finally made her appearance (JLS - Love You More)... Maybe I should write it all down in fine detail so I wont ever forget.

I know its a pointless post but I dont really have anyone to tell and I feel so tearful that I wont be having another baby for quite some time. Do you think a 5 year age gap is a long time? Will they not "bond" as much if they are born so far apart? Not that this will change the fact that 5 years is right for us but I just wondered...

Oh well. Sorry everyone, on a bit of a sad day today I think. xx

Hope all of you and your beautiful babies are doing well and hopefully I can get on here a little bit more than I have been able to xx

Replies

• yes, I think we can safely say that you've lost your marbles!! You can go and stand in the corner with my OH who has been badgering me for another baby since the day Mia was born 7 weeks ago! He had a major strop when I told him I wasn't sure about another one (I hated being pregnant!) and was going straight back onto the contraceptive jab!

No....seriously, you're not mad to want another this quickly...human nature I'd say. However, I have plenty of friends with kids with a 5year age gap and it doesn't seem that big an issue, in fact the children in those families are really close.

Write down your memoirs of the birth, and look forward to having the next one, whenever that will be. xxx
  • Hey Hun.

My little man was 6 12 days after my little lady was born. Obviously I can't comment on a smaller age gap but I love that I have had tonnes of time with my little man and with him at school I get all day with my little lady. It works well for us.

He adores his sister as she does him. It also works in that he is very grown up and can do loads himself.

It's totally personal choice when you have another baby so don't let anyone else make you feel it should be sooner. Only you and your oh should decide.

Take care hun

Xx
  • I know how you feel. For the first week after Rebekah was born I was adamant that I would never have another child. I felt so blessed to have 2 beautiful children and one of each, that I thought I had finished. Now, 6 weeks on, I am feeling that I could do it again. Like you said, not right now, but the thought of never being pregnant again is awful. X
  • Hey hun! Def don't think you've lost your marbles, it's a natural feeling lol.

Stand by your decision for spacing. I can give you examples from my point of view to re-enforce your decision....

There are only two years between me and my brother and we fought like hell growing up and now don't speak. The age gaps between me and my sisters is 7 and 11 years and we are REALLY close.

My oldest sister has three kids all under six, and yes her two girls are close BUT my sister is really tired and having three so close together has aged her quite a lot and she finds it difficult because she never gets a minute.

The age gaps between my three are 3.5 years between my oldest two and then 6 between the middle one and Imogen. They are all close (the older two love their little sister to bits) and the gap is wide enough that each child has had me at home with them with my sole attention without another child running around for at least part of the day. For me the age gaps are perfect. I don't plan on having another (unless hubby changes his mind lol) but if I were to have another one i would again wait a few years.