Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeding question

Hey ladies how are you and babies?

Tyler is what i and everyone i know is calling an extremely hungry baby! He takes 5and half ounces of the sma hungry baby milk every 2 - 4 hours! He can last up to 4hours during the day but at night he will look for the bottle and take it all every 2hours at night! OH's sis who has 5children says she has never seen a baby so hunry! She has said i should think about giving Tyler a small spoon of baby rice at his feed about 6pm ish! Tyker is only 5weeks and 3days old so i think this is to early! What do you think? I know if i asked HV she would say no way so not even going to say it to her!

The milk just doesnt seam to be feeding him up as much as it did when i first put him on it! Should i up his feed (dont think he would take it all to be honest) or try a tiny spoon of baby rice?

XX

Replies

• Options
    Hey Hun.

I wouldn't do the baby rice yet! He is far too young. If you don't think he'll take anymore of his bottle then there is no point upping that either!!

It's a hard one to know what to do. Have you tried water between feeds to see if that will take him longer?

Aleia is taking 5-6 oz of hungry milk every 4 hours. Last night at her 10pm feed she drained 6oz then we had to give her 2 more ozs!! She still only slept till 3am!!

It might be better to speak to hv for some advice Hun.

Xx
  • Options
    g/c...2-4 hours between feeds is fine at 5weeks old, my ds never went more than 4hours between feeds (except at night when older) and even adults are only supposed to go 6hours between meals...he is far too young for baby rice...my dd is 12weeks and she bf every 1.5-2.5hours...he's not feeidng too frequently, so perhaps jsut up his feeds as u suggest...and it's quite normal for babies so young to think they are nocturnal...plus ur heading for a major growth spurt at 6weeks, so he's bound to up his intake from around now and then thinsg wills ettle down a bit, he'll take more per feed and perhaps feed slightly less often, then he'll begin to realise that daytime is for feeding and night time is for sleeping, but give him time. hth xx
  • Options
    I was thinking the same ladies that Tyler is just to young for food. I have had quite a few people telling me to try him on it really runny as he is a hungry baby! I did try upping his feeds to 6oz but he falls asleep in the middle and then will wake up again. I think thats half his problem at night as he can fall asleep and even when i change his bum a few times to keep him awake he still wont finnish it all but then sometimes he will take the full feed but wont take much more! Then there are times like just now he had a 5and half ounces at 6.10 (when he started) and since then he has had 1oz of water and 2oz of food and still isnt asleep.

I wont be letting anyone push me into feeding him food!

Thanks for agreeing with me letting me know what i was thinking id right!

XX
  • Options
    yes i agree i think it cud do damage to his digestive system at his age! i think that is normal every 2 hours at night my friends baby was the same! i breast feed so it a bit diff 4 me!! my emily cluster feeds between 8-10 then only wakes up once in the night! but its shattering having to sit all evening feeding!! lol but worth it!!

keep the good work up xjenz
  • Options
    Hi.

If he is falling asleep in the middle of his feed he may not be getting it quick enough i.e. sucking too hard is making him tired. Have to tried upping the teat size?

Just a thought as i've been told when they fall asleep during the feed to move to the next size up.