Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First Midwife Appt

Hi All,

I went to the doctors at around 5 weeks pregnant, I had a very postive appt even though I was worried about being overweight the doctor didnt even mention it which put me at ease, I'm now waited for my midwife to contact me, got a few questions though?

* where will the appt take place?

* when will she ring! days are so slow waiting!

* what happens?

* I have a very hard time swapping shifts etc can they accomadate me as I havent told my boss?

pregnant mind runnig wild!

emma xx

Replies

• Options
    mine rang after a week....appointment can be at home or a health clinic or wherever they do the midwife clinics in my town they usually do them at the surestart childrens centre. if they make an aapointment you cant do then they should try to rearrange it for you. at first appointment they usually ask you loads of questions about you and your partner about health and family history, give you advice on your lifestyle and start filling out your notes which you will have til the very end. they also take blood for testing like hiv syphillis etc...theres an article about antenatal appointments o here which is very helpful, i also like the nhs pregnancy section image
  • Options
    I had to chase my midwife as was being inpatient but good thing I did as she couldn't find who referred me! She is lovely though. She is coming to my house on the 26th may and has booked my scan in for the 15th June. they should be able to work around you xx
  • Options
    charlieswife,

how far on are you? Xx
  • Options
    I had a letter through the post with my appointment date about a week after my appointment with the Dr xx
  • Options
    maybe I'll ring in the morning and ask the question?

xx
  • Options
    I was lucky, I went in to see my GP and the midwife caught me on the way out and booked me in to see her on 25th May. Think it just depends where you live and how busy there caseload is as to how long it takes x
  • Options
    It can also take longer to hear anything if the midwife care is all run centrally from the hospital rather than individual doctors surgeries as they have more appointments to juggle.

In my area no doctors surgeries have midwife services any more. I was told that if I hadn't heard in two weeks then give them a call.
  • Options
    well i bite the bullet and rang on friday morning, left a message at the midwives base, they called me back and left a message for an appointment on the 9th which i cant make due to work constraints,

lets see what tuesday brings. . . Its torture waiting xx
  • Options
    Sorry Hun just seen your post to me. I'm 7+6. Had midwife Thursday and she was lovely. Xx