Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Need a Good Excuse

I need a really good excuse. It's my mum's birthday next weekend and we are going out for dinner. I need an excuse why I can't drink. I think it's going to be really obvious anyway as I won't even have a glass of wine and my step dad is a nightmare as it is complaining I'm not drinking. I would tell my mum if I knew she could keep it a secret but I know she wont and will tell her sisters. Plus she is going away with them for a week on holiday and there is no way she cannot say anything to them being with them 24/7. I was thinking antibiotics but why would I need them? Grrr why does my mum have such a big mouth! :lol: X

Replies

• could you drive? antibiotics is a good one or if you can buy a lemonade and say it is vodka and lemonade. Its tricky!
  • I could drive but its only just down the road so we would all jump in a taxi. I always say if we are going to a bar get me a gin and tonic which hubby knows is code for just tonic water. But I think it is going to be more difficult when we are sitting at a table and people are listening to what you are ordering! Plus when the bill comes in they will see lots of tonic waters with no Gin! xx
  • all of our family found out same day as we did. only ppl we havent told yet is our friends. its good to tell family especially your mum! they are so good to moan to when you feel anxious and to be honest if the worst happened they are family and they will be there to help you But anyway can you drive? if so why not be the designated driver? as soon as you say antibiotics they will grin and ask you if your pregnant lol. last time i went out i bought half a pint and carried it round with me the whole night and nobody noticed image
  • or come up with something really important that you have to do the next morning....or just say that you have had a tummy bug and arent feeling upto drinking?
  • I would buy a half a pint or a gin & tonic and just not drink it.

Or, order a gin and tonic and a glass of sparkling water (or something that looks similar) and then just sip from the water one. If they look the same, it'll not be long until no-one realises that you're only drinking the water, and then your hubs could say 'can I just have a bit of your water' and drink some of your gin & tonic x
  • You could say that you've pulled a muscle in your back and you can't drink with the painkillers you're taking.

Just remember to walk a bit stiffly and don't do any crazy dancing!

Or have a big build up about a tummy bug and nearly pull out of going but then say you'll go but not drink because you're still feeling rough.

Or fake ear infections are good for antibiotics and you don't feel particularly ill, there's no obvious symptoms and nothing to see.

I've done all three of these and got away with it!

Mrs B xxx
  • antibiotics water infection. image
  • Oooh good one - I might use that!
  • You can get away with having a small glass of wine if you want it but general good excuses include driving, prescribed medicines such as antibiotics or anti-inflamataries, random drugs tests at work (certain drink/drugs can be traced several days later) or having an important meeting/interview you want to be at your best for. Best wishes and hope all goes ok.
  • Youre not the only one that needs an excuse. I have loads of things coming up till end of June!! Not sure people are gonna buy that there is something wrong with me for a whole month!! x
  • Thanks girls, like the water infection fib!

Because I live so far away from mum, I stay the night so cant even say I am driving home as it was always the plan to stay! xx
  • Hey the water infection is a good one my friend was all set to use that that last year at her hen weekend but in the end didn't need one as knowone actually realised she wasn't drinking.

I have had to tell loads if people because of my job, there are loads of things you can't do pregnant so I am really worried that someone will put something on facebook. I work with 200 women so you can imagine what the gossip is like and even though I have told everyone not to say anything it's got round so we have to tell our parents tonight and friends on Saturday as would hate for them to find out in any other way x x
  • I personally think antibiotics is a terrible excuse. There are only a couple of types you can't drink with anyway! One is dental surgery related. I didn't tell people I was pg with my toddler until I was nearly 21 weeks. Nobody noticed. I even had a birthday meal at 20 weeks! I find if you don't draw attention to the fact you're not drinking most people won't notice. This time I'm breastfeeding so have a perfect excuse, but I have not drank in 2 years anyway, so people don't expect to see me drinking.
  • I dont think my mum would think I wonder what antibiotics she is on as some you can drink on! My mum would think antibiotics = not drinking.

I have come to the conclusion I am going to tell her. When she is holding the picture I will also make her put a hand on my tummy and promise me she wont say anything. Plus i am fed up with my stepdad going on about not having one drink, I am not a big drinker anyway but I would have a few g&t's! I just think it will be easier and if we can keep it quiet for nearly 8 weeks I would think she could keep it quiet for another 4-5! xx