Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012

what am i entitled too?

hello ladies,

ok, so im 19years old, 7weeks 4days pregnant, and still living at home, although i had planned to carry on living at home with my baby, things have been getting very tense round here lately!!

been arguing alot with my 2 sisters and had a few big rows with my mam, its all getting too much for me now image

although i dont really want to move out as im quite scared of doing this alone, i think its best i do, after seeing my mam go through cancer and spinal surgery it is going to be very hard to leave, but i think we would have a stronger mother/daughter relationship if i do move out now, and i need to be independant for my little babba...

if i claim to be homeless would i get a place? or put in a hostel? i start a new job tomorrow so want to stick around a while so i can at least save up a deposit.

any ideas on what would happen? or what support i would be entitled to?

xxx

Replies

• really dont have much advice for u hun but dint want to read and run! it may all depend on what part of the counrty u live in. I know a friend of mine was pregnant and wanted to move out of home but because there were enough rooms in her mum and dads house her mum and dad had to basically say she was not welcome there and she went on a list to say she was homeless and she lived in a hostel until the baby was 3 months and then the council re-homed her. Have heard other storeys where people just get given a flat straight away. best idea is to prob go to citizens advice and talk it throu with them, they can give u advice on getting homed and what benifits you could be entitled too.

sorry iv not been much help, hope you get something sorted soon, must be horrible for u with all the arguing!!

kel xx
  • hi

go to www.directgov.uk - it will tell you what your entitled to
  • There is a benefits calculator on direct.gov

You wont be entitled to much until you are 29 weeks, no benefits anyway, not 100% sure if you would get help with rent. If you were made homeless your mum would have to write a letter to the council to say she no longer wanted you at home. You would then be placed on a waiting list. You may be offered a hostel but you would only be entitled to a 1 bedroom place. Any questions feel free to inbox me x
  • ah thats brilliant girls, thank you image gonna try and stick it out as long as i can really, as much as the arguments do get me down i do look to my mam for alot of support, mentally, any worries i have i turn to her you no,

but, im 19 and time for me to be independant image but hey... i start my new job tomorrow, and hopefully things will be better if im not in the house 24/7, shes of to australia in a few weeks for 3 weeks, so maybe we both just need a bit of space image

only time will tell,

but thanks, all of you for your advie/support image

xxxxx
  • hi, depends as where you live its all different, first thing you may have to do is get onto a housing register most have a bidding system and that all depends on what band or catagory your placed in, normally ranging from emergency to home swap> considering your age it might be best to go to your local connexions and they will basicly do everything for you as they are now inconjunction with share and young people support advisors, they will also give you details of a family support worker...which has nothing to do with social services so dont worry. your lucky in that you are young If they find you a place and you arent working you would have to go on jobseekers and would prob get housing ben and council tax credit....once baby is here you would get income support, tax credits, if working on a low income you might still get these, you would dedfinately get working tax credit and a single person tax reduction. Just go to connexionsimage x
  • oooh also when baby is born if you have a local childrens centre (used to be sure start) nmost are run by family services now.....they have lots of support groups for young mums and mums to be, and they are not patronising and labelling like most they help you train and gain new skills as well.
  • oooh also when baby is born if you have a local childrens centre (used to be sure start) nmost are run by family services now.....they have lots of support groups for young mums and mums to be, and they are not patronising and labelling like most they help you train and gain new skills as well.
  • ahh thanks image thats brilliant image

yeah, will probably make a appointment monday image

thanks for all the help and advice

xxx
  • You can talk to the Citizens Advice Bureau about what help is available. With my sister, she and my mum went to the local council with my mum saying that she felt no choice but to evict my sister from her home as there was not enough space for her and a new baby (a slight untruth but it got the desired response from the council with them offering my sister a 2 bed council home within 2mths of their visit as my mum had given them 10wk deadline before she'd turn out my sister).
  • Hi Hun,

I'm sure there's lots of help available and the other ladies have pointed you in the right direction. But...

Please, please think very carefully before you make the leap and move out.

Your hormones and emotions are all over the place at the moment making you much more sensitive. Add to that your Mum's anxiety for you (she's your Mum and it's her job to worry about you) and it's a recipe for arguments, especially if there are other females in the house too.

However, having a baby is tough, hard work. The most fabulous and amazing thing you will ever do but hard, hard work. When your baby arrives you will never have needed your Mum more.

You say you don't really want to move out, so don't. Have a chat with your Mum about how you're feeling and try and clear the air. I'm sure your Mum wouldn't want you to go either, she will want to make sure her baby and her grand-baby are safe, happy and looked after.

Big hugs.

Mrs B xxx