Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Struggling with work!

Bit of moan im afraid :/

Im a childminder and look after up to 6 children at a time, all under the age of 3 and half! I start at 7am most days and finish at 5.30/6pm and it is killing me. Its not just the kids, its all the housework that comes along with them! I also have my own son who is 3yrs. I do have an assistant who works 16 hours which does help a bit but I'm still just as knackered!

I said I would work until xmas which Im not going to be able to do so have managed to get it down to second week of November...... pleeeeeease hurry up November!!

I am seriously struggling and feel like a zombie come lunchtime...... mornings aren't so bad! Any other childminders out there? Or just struggling like me?

This is more of a moan I suppose, sorry!!

Rant over image

Rachel xx

Replies

• I'm not a childminder but can totally sympathise as really knackered trying to work just part time and look after a near 3 yr old. I was going to go on until end of 1st week of Jan but just can't face it so going to go just before xmas. Wish it could be sooner but just can't afford to.

You will get there - 2.5 months to go until end of November which will fly by.
  • Im struggling and i'm sat at a desk all day so consider myself lucky! I really admire u ladies who have other kids to look after coz its hard enuff looking after myself and hubby and working 38hours a week!

Im finishing on 2nd dec as babies due 4 weeks later if i last that long - im in

Agony with pain in my hip / pubic bone, convineced its SPD but midwife seems reluctant to agree image
  • I'm like butterflies and sit at a desk all day long so can't imagine how you cope. I'm finding my 2 1/2 year old hard enough without other kids! I'm not due til the 31st Jan but finishing work on the 23rd dec, partly as didn't see the point in going in for 3 days after christmas, and partyl because I was in and out of hospital with my son and had him a week early so want to make sure I get plenty of time to relax before the birth.

Is there anyone else who could help out, could you assistant work more hours, or could you employ a cleaner to help with the housework? Try and relax when you can and only do the minimum amount of housework you have to.

hope you're feeling better soon!
  • I am also struggling physically and emotionally. I am A neonatal nurse and work 14 hour shifts including nights. Emotionally its draining too as a lot of our babies are born at 23 weeks onwards so now I am 23 weeks seeing babies the sane size as mine is tough! I am planning on working till 35 weeks but not sure I will make it x
  • Wow! You ladies are hard workers. I feel bad for thinking about moaning. Due to the type of job I do I've been made office bound and after a hectic august doing long days and weeks without days off, my bosses have now told me to restrict myself to 8 hour days and no overtime and no shifts. I do have to do 4 hours of travelling on top of that and I really don't know how I will cope when I go back to work or when we have a second, but I'm not thinking about those things right now.

I've saved up leave so I can go on 7th Dec and then start maternity on my due date.

I hope u manage to last until November. Maybe ur assistant would appreciate a few extra hours. Good luck x
  • Paraty - 14 hours on your feet/shift work must be horrendous! At least I can sit on the floor with the kids if I need a quick break.... although it hurts my back (MOAN!! lol)

I've decided im going to talk to parents and try and reduce them down and see if my assistant can look after some of the children from their homes couple of days a week to take the pressure off!

Like my mum said to me, the only thing that is important is my health and this baby! So true and after 2 mc's its time for me to stop bending over backwards to help everyone else and help myself!

Roll on maternity/rest leave!!

Rachel xx