Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

All booked in for antenatal parenting classes!!

Hi ladies hope you are all doing well. i had an appt with midwife today, all going hunky dory with our little bubba, and then i asked her about antenatal classes, but she referred me back to the hospital (who had told me to speak to mw about them!) anyway rang hospital when i got home and this time spoke to right dept and me and hubby are now all booked in for 2 x 3hr classes at end Nov ... apparentley the classes get booked up really quickly, so for other first time mums if you havent got yours booked yet might be worth ringing your hosp/mw to sort xx

Replies

• I did NHS ones last time and was a bit disappointed, felt like I knew more than them, but it was only a few hours on one saturday and absolutely packed. Therefore, this time I've booked a NCT refresher class, which gives lots of help with breastfeeding (which I struggled with 1st time) and how to explain to your eldest about the baby coming!

Obviously there's a charge ??70 i think, but am hoping its going to be well worth it!
  • My wife and I are booked for the NCT classes too. Bit expensive at ??160 but we are told they ate excellent.

My only concern with NCT is that they rather pro-breadtfeeding, and my wife isn't!!
  • We booked nct today. Last one is when i am 38 weeks. Also doing abc classes at the hospital. They are only 1 Hr for three weeks and are a little different to the antinatel classes the hospital hold as are put on by the physiotherapy department xx
  • Last time I did the nhs ones at the hospital as the nct didn't advertise dates properly so I missed out image. Thought the nhs course was crap - didn't tell me anything I didn't know and was 3 lectures on the labour etc.

NCT courses are far more broad, they can can seem not totally relevant to all as they do have a large amount about a natural birth and breastfeeding.

I did a postnatal with the nct and it was very balanced about breast and bottle feeding. A lot depends on the particular course tutor.
  • I'm booked in for surestart classes, think they have taken over fom nhs ones for three 2hr sessions end of november. The lady tried to change me to end of dec ones cos of due date but hubby will never get off work early in dec cos it's a crazy busy time so i asked to stay on nov ones. Hope she remembers that. Might check again at next midwife appt. Looking forward to them