Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

mucous plug

I think I may have just lost some of my mucous plug. Tmi...went for a wee and when I wiped there was a big glob of snot like stuff. It was clear and not blood tinged so I think it should be okay. Anyone else had this?

Replies

• :lol: sorry leanne but that is well funny.....but could be, sometimes it doesnt come out straight away. if not id talk to midwife...never heard of anyone losing any plug this early and it normally bood tinged/streaked. could just be discgarge as it comes in many shapes and forms.. :roll: .consistencies etc
  • Hi Gingerpoodle you can loose your mucus plug at any time, I know this because I went in at 18 weeks this time as they thought my waters were leaking, and they said the plug can come out whenever as it doesnt always have a bearing on going into labour.

Although to be honest sounds more like cervical mucus than plug as the others say your plug is more streaky with blood not fully clear (my last two were anyway), from about half way most people start to get alot more CM. If it keeps coming out and your worried or has blood you should call your midwife.

the joys of pregnancy ey!
  • Thanks ladies. I'm not too concerned. Not to be too crude but I it didn't look like old cum, lol!

Anyway, I have my midwife appointment tomorrow so I'll mention it. I'm not worried it just seemed a large amount for it to be just discharge. Hmm, pregnancy brings such nice topics of discussion :lol:
  • It might be a bit of your plug, it renews itself all the time.

One of the biggest surprises when having DD was the size of the mucous plug when it came - it was hanging down to my knees!!

If you'd lost it, you'd DEFINITELY know about it!

Mrs B xxx
  • It's not always massive, when I lost mine it was about the size of a 50p piece (round) - delightful stuff!! It was blood tinged though and I went into labour that day.

Would just check with your midwife, I'm sure it's nothing and I'm pretty sure you can lose parts of it at any time and it gets replenished, like someone else said.

Totally GC here sorry!!
  • G/C but your plug is usually tinged with blood making it pinky/brown/green in colour (depending on the age of the blood). If it is more clear/yellowy then it is more likely to be cervical discharge which you'll notice more of as you near the end of pregnancy (especially when you get hot, it can leave you feeling soaked).
  • Thanks ladies. Mentioned it to mw and she said it could be plug even though no blood but nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye out for anything else and if I get cramps then call them. X