Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012

Back/Pelvic or SPD

Hello! image

How is everyone gettin on with back/pelvic or spd problems?

I've been suffering for about the last 7/8 weeks. Had an assessment at hospital last week and now im on crutches for next 10 weeks!!

It's so frustrating.... I love this time of year and mooching round the shops for xmas bit and now i can hardly manage one shop on my sticks! I've had to book a wheelchair for a shopping day out on Friday as I know I would not make more than half hr round the shops! image

Hope everyone is ok and not falling apart like me!

Rachel xx

Replies

• Oh wow, you poor thing. I haven't suffered with my back despite thinking that I would as I've always had back problems. Ive been seeing a chiropractor since the beginning of pregnancy.

Sorry I can't really relate but hope it doesn't get any worse for you. Take it easy xxx
  • I've had sciatica, which has pretty much tapered off now. Sounds like you're really in the wars x
  • Sorry you're on crutches. No fun at all. On the other hand at least you can use them to hopefully get around a bit more.

I'm struggling (and have been for the past 2 months). I can walk without crutches for the moment but I'm so slow and so sore I wonder if I would be better on crutches. Driving is horrid so I feel crap by the time I get to work, sleeping is so sore so I'm generally only getting 4 or 5 hrs a night which makes me tired, grouchy and even more fed up.

Add to that not being able to stay away (BIL's bed collapsed on me and hubby 3 times in 1 night and left me off work for a week as the SPD was so bad, MIL's wasn't that great as her chairs are so uncomfy and she always wants us to go out which I struggle with), and I'm feeling quite low, and certainly fed up with it all. We normally go away over xmas and it feels weird that we can't do it. DS1 is also not wanting to leave places as he wants to stay longer with family and it's quite heart wrenching to have to bring him away just because I can't stay there any longer due to the SPD problems.

Sorry, long rant. I feel like I'm not enjoying this pregnancy due to the problems and it's impacting on so much of the rest of family life which I hate. Can't wait for it over now.

Hope you find things easier and the crutches do help you be in less pain a bit more of the time. xxx
  • oh no you poor thing! i havent had anything like this with this preg or my last. although my back is niggeling me now and again, and when i first get up in the morning I feel a bit stiff.

i can understand you being frustrated, i love this time of year too. however im also giving up the mooching round the shops til after baby is born as my toddler is turning into a terror when out shopping and i find it difficult to handle her as she is such a big strong girl and i come home knackered.

hope you enjoy your shopping on friday.... just think no tired legs, or carrying bags, just stick em on the back of your chair!!

xx
  • Thanks ladies, we really do suffer don't we!! Why can't we just lay an egg and let the men look after it for 9 months, would be much easier?? Hee hee!!

Basscl - You poor thing image Have you spoken to your midwife about how bad it is? They should refer you to hospital for an assessment/physio. The crutches do help and think you really should have them; it just takes the pressure off your pelvis and onto your arms more. However, I am also suffering with carpal tunnel so my hands suffer when using crutches!! Lol............ I am actually falling apart!!

At the hospital I was given lots of different positions to get into and things not to do too, which helps. If you go onto all fours or lay across a bean bag it takes all the pressure off your back and feels sooooooo nice! Shame we can't crawl around the shops on all fours!! Haha!!

Mummyisagadetgeek - Thank you, its nice to know that If I had another baby it could be managed. Everyone seems to like to tell me that it will get worse and be much worse in another pregnancy!!

Rachel xx
  • What a shame you've got the CTS as well as the SPD Rachel.

I've already seen the physio twice. No crutches yet as been managing with a support days and have had a few up and down days however it's getting worse so I may even be asking for them by the time I see her again on the 24th.

I've got wrist problems too (RSI aggrevated by repetitive intricate movements) so can sympathise with the CTS too. Thankfully I don't seem to have CTS having been tested a few years ago.

Sit on a birthing ball for a while each day is supposed to help and certainly melps me a little.

At the rate I'm going I'm not going into work tomorrow as it's getting to the stage where I can barely walk round work. Can't get a drs appointment until the 23rd unless I ring back and luck out on Friday morning to get one Monday. Could do with stronger painkillers for the occassions when it's really bad. Think I might have to aim for crutches as things are getting so bad, and I think I might have to cut down on work as that's becoming a real issue.

Enjoy your shopping on Friday.
  • Awwww, you poor thing, you really are falling apart!

You should def get crutches. Are you able to ring your physio lady and just ask if someone can come and pick some up for you, rather than wait until 24th? You shouldn't be suffering this much.

Hope work has been ok, what do you do? Are you starting maternity leave soon?

I'll let you know how I get on with my wheelchair tomorrow image

Hurry up January!!!!!!!!!

Take Care

Rachel xx