Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012

Birth plans?

Hi everyone,

Have any of you given any thought to your birth plan yet? My hope was to have a waterbirth at our local hospital but no can do as they don't have a birthing pool!

I seen the midwife on wednesday & was talking to her about it & she suggested hiring a TENS machine from the physio - has anyone used one before & what was ur experience.

My birth plan now is kind of go for gas & air and if it becomes to much just give me an epidural. I wanted it to be as natural as possible but seen as tho the birthpool is now not an option unless i go to another hospital that has a terrible reputation i'm starting to chew about it! My midwife is a 'natural birth champion'' what ever one of them is, so was very supportive of a waterbirth & said we will discuss my other options further at my nxt appointment!

E x

Replies

• Hi butterflies.

I actually wrote mine at 6am this morning when I couldn't sleep.

Have you considered hiring a birth pool and having a home birth?

I plan to give birth in the local birthing centre and hoping for the birth pool to be available. I've left pain relief as open but I won't be able to have an epidural there. So let's hope I'm good at the breathing! image
  • As its my first baby i would prefer to have baby in hospital. At least if i'm there and things dont go to plan there are other options....think im just gunna go for natural as possible & hope for a quick and easy as possible labour!

I was rather shocked to find my local hospital doesnt have a birth pool! Its not long been revamped, u get ur own room and en suite! Why they didnt install a birthpool is beyond me!!
  • Hi there, g/c from TTC.. When i had my son i wrote a birth plan (wanted a water birth, etc) but it all went out of the window..

i think it's best to just have an open mind about everything cos you don't know what will happen until its actually happening image good luck and congratulations
  • Hi Girls

I've gotta say, i think birth plans are a complete and utter waste of time!

Every woman's birth experience is unique and unpredictable. when you're rolling around in pain and don't know what day it is, plans don't mean a thing. Just go with the flow i say ( and take the drugs). They exist for a reason!!! I had gas and air last time followed by diamorphine. Diamorphine was magic!! Childbirth is a lovely but surreal and bizarre experience. I think you just have to go with what feels right for you at the time.

Butterflies - I agree the best thing is to have the baby in hospital. that way you and near all the pain relief you could possibly need and more importantly intervention should you need it. Think of the time wasted travelling to the hospital if there is a problem ( which let's face it, happens a lot) . I've gotta be honest, i think a home birth is the craziest idea in the world. it could mean the difference between a normal healthy baby and one with serious problem if you don't get to hospital in time.

R xx
  • Just to add, don't forget you've got the option of pethadine as the next level before epidural. I found one shot of that and the gas and air got me through it so it's a useful one to remember if you want an intermediate stage of pain relief.
  • Ah pethadine - had that before during a procedure on my tummy! I cant remember a bloody thing about it apart from waking up in recovery after - now theres a plan lol!

I'm just gunna go along the lines of s/he has to cum out & its gunna hurt so whether i have g&a or an epidural or whatever else, it doesnt really matter as long as we are both safe & healthy image

Thank u ladies image x x
  • iv not wrote a birth plan, i did with ds and i left it at home, with dd it was basically just get baby out! i left all my options open as u really dont no which way its going to go and with both of them i stuck to just gas and air. am hoping to have a home birth this time round, am not going to write a birth plan as i no in myself what i want and at the end of the day i just want a healthy baby at the end of it, if that means emergancy c section then so be it, i do think its handy for things like wanting someone in particular to cut the cord or if u want baby to have the vitamin k and for if ur dead against having something done or really want something, for me thou im just easy! haha!! :lol: xx
  • Mine is very basic and just outlines what 'I would like' but I have stressed throughout that if things change I'm open to alternatives. Like kelmouk says it'd good for specific things. I've put that is like my dh to cut the cord but made a point that only if he wants to. Leaving pain relief options open.