Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

anyone reading who have toddlers??

hi all

i ask because my little boy is a social lad, never been clingy and he was dry for weeks when potty training

he knows he's going to have a little brother soon and is very loving towards me and kisses tummy a lot etc

last few weeks he refuses to sit on potty and has gone back to peeing in nappy and wants to sleep with me at night

also his first day at preschool went really well but after that 2nd third day he wouldnt let me leave!

now im taking him to pre school and having to sit through the session, defeats purpose of him starting really!!

i thought toddlkers played up just before new babys arrival but im not that late into the pregnancy (31+4)

its just so weird hes changed into such a clingy child in a matter of weeks

sorry for the rant it would be interested to know everyone elses experiences! and any tips apprecited

he has another pre school session on wed afternoon , hopefully i wont get stuck there again!

sb

Replies

• Hi chick,

I am 28 weeks with a 27 month old DS. He used to be so outgoing etc but since he started nursery he is soo shy! Clingy, cuddly, he chews on his sleeve if he sees someone he isnt sure of..its unreal how clingy he is! Im not sure if its to do with baby on the way or starting nursery, he has night terrors at the moment and he will go down in his bed fine, then wake up screaming/crying and will not settle. I have to wake him to calm him down and cuddle him bk to sleep in my own bed.

Im not sure what it is but just to let u know your not alone in this situation and perhaps its a boy thing maybe? I spoke to his nursery teacher and she said its so more common in boys to have attatchment issues with mummy and I just think they need longer to be babies whereas girls grow up and become independant so much more quicker, my DD is 6 and she has been independant from the age of 2 and potty trained fab, not one wet sheet ever, and nursery was fab for her, no sleeping problems and she was just the complete opposite.

Good luck and im guessing little boys will stay mummies boys for a long time yet bless them. xx
  • hiya

My LO is just 2. She is normally confident but has been going through a clingy phase recently. they all go through it. As for the potty situation, my mum said that normally when a second baby is born, the toddler regresses and decides to wee ' just like baby'! They see you attending to the baby and want the same attention. for this reason i haven't attempted potty training as i can't be arsed with the drama to be honest!!

R xx
  • I'm 29 weeks and have a 32 month old son, and I think I'm suffering the same as you. We started potty training a few weeks ago and he was doing really well, hardly any accidents, now we're having an accident nearly every time. He also doesn't like sleeping in his bed but I don't like him sleeping in ours, although have let him a couple of times recently, to keep the peace.

His behaviour has also gone downhill, lots of tantrums and he's been quite clingy towards me rather than my husband. One morning last week hubby got him out of bed and he screamed and screamed and screamed because he wanted me. My hubby was very upset.

I'm beginning to think if he's like this before the baby is born what's he going to be like afterwards.
  • it sounds quite normal for a child of that age even who doesnt have a baby coming. i went through countless times where potty training would go amazingly and then suddenly cease and the bed thing its more of a power struggle when toddler wants to be in control.....nursery is a big big upheaval and can create mega problems but they dont tend to last too long. luckily for me my son will be four when his sister arrives and is quite independant and off doing his own thing now
  • My DD is 27 months and is quite the same. She has only been walking for 8ish weeks now and we havent even tried to tackle potty training. Sometimes she can be very clingy though. Think it is just normal for the age they are at. Until my wee one got onto her feet she was still very much a baby even at 2. Now she has her moments but is defo a toddler!

Hope it passes for your little ones soon enough!

xxx
  • G/C but it's all about the reassurance that they are still special & loved by mummy & daddy. For sometime they have been the only child in the home & they are aware of the changes taking place in preparation for your new arrival. They will try to mimic being a baby in order to get the same attention. Try to involve your toddler in the preparations by letting them 'help' sort out clothes & nappies. Once baby is about allow them to interact (however nervy it makes you feel) as this will help with the adjustment to being a big brother/sister. If you can also manage an hour of 'one-to-one' time with toddler whilst baby sleeps it maintains that 'I'm still wanted' feeling & helps you have a happy family. Best wishes & good luck in the days to come.