Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Braxton Hicks and Period pain

Hi ladies

Are you all getting excited as we get nearer to D-Day?! I can't believe it's only 6 weeks until my due date.

Has everyone else been getting lots of Braxton Hicks? I know some people don't notice them. I've had them since quite early on - 20 weeks-ish. The last couple of days they've been a lot more intense and I have had period like pain for the past 24 hours and wow! does my lower back hurt.

Despite all this, the baby seems like it's trying to climb upwards and someone at NCT commented on the fact that my baby was sat so high last night. That could just be down to the fact that it was pretty much permanently contracted and hard last night. I was hoping that the baby might engage soon - Prior to all this, I have had a lot of pressure down below in recent weeks and lots of nerve pain shooting through my vagina and down the front of my legs, which I put down to the baby getting closer to engaging.

Just waffling really as I can't sleep through the aching back and period pain. Poor hubby will have to get up for work soon and I have been keeping him awake for the past few days.

I've got my midwife appointment today and I really hope that she says the baby is starting to engage but I have a feeling that won't be the case :?

Replies

• Options
    Yeah I had strong braxtons pretty much all day yesterday which were taking my breath away. It was pretty uncomfortable and they kept making me go dizzy, but I knew they were braxtons because they went everytime I moved about, and after a warm bath last night they stopped completely.

I've still got 8 weeks to go so I doubt my stubborn baby has started to engage yet. x
  • Options
    Yes been having them for the last week or so. Started with period pain, and achiness in lower back and pelvis, also baby felt very low. Then end of last week I started getting a feeling like something was twisting my insides very very tightly, for a few seconds, maybe a minute then it would go. This got a lot worse over the weekend but would only happen a couple of times then go, or stop when I changed position! It seems to be worse when I'm tired!

Saw my midwife yesterday and she confirmed they were BH. Strangely I didn't have them with my first so had to go and research what they were this time!

I've got 10 weeks left but only 4 in work, woo hoo!
  • Options
    Having braxtons & period pain tonight. I've certainly not missed having period pain since being pregnant, so this is quite unwelcome! X
  • Options
    I have had braxton hicks since quite early on in this pregnancy, was the same with my first. They are strong enough to take my breath away and stop me doing what Im doing and Im getting period pains too. I still have 9 wks to go. I can feel baby much lower now so think its headin in the right direction but they do say after your first baby doesnt normally engage til labour kicks in. My bump is quite low and neat.

Not long to go now ladies!

xxx