Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I've had my baby -but he's very poorly! (LONG post!)

Morning all,

I thought I'd fill you in on what's been going on in the last week. Last Monday, the 2nd January, I gave birth a little boy. He was 4 weeks early, I wasn't due until the 27th January, and he was born by emergency caesarean.

On Sunday night I was at my husband's works staff party, he's a chef and it was in his restaurant. About halfway through the main I started to feel very uncomfortable, but as I don't usually eat much at night and had eaten quite a bit, put it down to this. Then I felt like I was having period pains, so thought it was braxton hicks and they would go. We left the party about 11 and I went to bed. I was still having these cramps at 1am, and they were getting stronger and more regular, so I phoned the hospital who told me to come in. We woke my toddler and made our way to the hospital, me driving as hubby had been drinking.

Upon arrival we were seen straight away and although I was contracting every 2 minutes, my cerivx wasn't open. They then checked the baby but couldn't find a heartbeat. Eventually they did but after monitoring him for a short while they noticed his heartbeat was dipping so the doctor advised an emergency c-section, in the next 10 minutes!! A rushed phone call to my best friend to come look after my toddler and hubby was put into scrubs. 4.29am, 2 hours after arriving at Hospital, my little boy was born, not breathing and with an APGAR score of 0. They resuscitated him and rushed him to SCBU.

I didn't get to see him until 6pm Monday evening, when he was 14 hours old. And although the doctors were trying to give us information they knew very little about what was wrong with him. Apart from being deprived oxygen at birth, he had jaundice, low blood platelets, an enlarged liver and spleen, not breathing for himself and was generally very poorly. They immediately ventilated him and put him on a cold mattress to reduce his temperature to 33 degrees, thought to help prevent any further damage.

Since then we have had a very worrying few days but he has come on leaps and bounds but is still very poorly.It turns out he has CMV, a virus which I probably caught in pregnancy and passed on. Approx. half the population are carriers of this virus and it causes no problems in most people, but is very dangerous in unborn or newborn babies. We do not know how much damage having this virus has caused and what it means for the future. We also don't know how long he was starved of oxygen for and what implications this means for his brain.

At the moment he is off the ventilator and breathing for himself, his temperature is back to normal, he is responding to our voices and touch, being fed my milk and has improved enormously over the last two days. He will have an MRI scan next week and is being put on some anti-viral drugs.

I don't want to scare anyone but just wanted to share my story with you all. Hope everyone else is well!

Replies

• I really hope the little one gets better very quickly. I really hope everything is ok. big hugs and good luck to you and your family xxx
  • Ah congratulations and massive hugs! Your post has me in tears....I dunno what to say!

Glad he's coming on leaps & bounds. He will be home where he belongs soon!

E x x
  • Congratulations on the birth of your little boy but what a worrying time for you, must have been horrendous!!

Wishing you all the best and hope he continues to get better, will be thinking of you both.

Take Care

Rachel xx
  • Oh cas what a week you have all had, I sincerely hope all issues are short term and your baby comes home healthy soon.

Best wishes to you all x

Does the little chap have a name yet?
  • Congratulations on his arrival but how terrifying for you hun, so pleased to hear he is getting stronger tho and heres to that continuing to a full recovery. sending u lots of love and best wishes to you and your family especially your wee boy xxxx
  • My thoughts are with you hun. Hopefully the little fella will be home with you soon. Glad he appears to be getting better and I hope the MRI gives good news. xxx
  • Congratulations on the birth and here's hoping that he continues to get better quickly and is soon home with you all.

MM

39+5
  • Congratulations on the birth of your baby, I hope your little boy makes a speedy and full recovery xx
  • Congratulations on the birth of your little boy. Glad to hear he's progressing well & hope he gets better x
  • Congratulations and stay strong. Sounds like he's already making great progress. Hopefully the scan will provide you with only good news next week.
  • Congratulations Cas and so sorry to see what you've been through

He seems like a little trooper though and wish him a speedy recovery

Plz keep us updated on his progress, thinking of u xxxx
  • G/c from due in feb

hi, just seen this on the sidebar. congratulations on your little one's arrival. i'm sure he will be well and home soon.

my eldest was very poorly at birth and rushed to special care, on a ventilator ect (due to a genetic condition we didn't know about) all i wanted was someone to tell me everything was gonna be ok, and there would be an end to the 'not knowing'. being off a vent at this stage sounds really good, it seems like he's making great progress. just take one day at a time, try not to worry about the future too much, just look at all the small achievements he makes everyday. also make sure you look after yourself, its a big shock when things don't go as expected and you've got a major operation to recover from too. i hope the MRI gives you good news. you are in my thoughts x
  • Congratulations on the arrival of your baby boy hunni, and I hope me makes a full speedy recovery soon. Sounds like he is coming on leaps and bounds so fingers crossed it continues xxx
  • Stay strong little boy! I'm sure he'll be home in no time. We have a fantastic resource in the nhs. Hugs x
  • Congratulations on the birth and I have everything crossed your little one continues to improve daily I am a neonatal nurse and cooling babies works wonders. Big hugs to you and your little boy x
  • Congratulations to you and your family on the arrival of your son! Does this little man have a name yet?

I wish you a very speedy recovery and hope your little fella continues to grow stronger and is home before you know it!

Lots of Love

xxx
  • Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby. You sound like you are really keeping it together, so in admiration of you here. If he's improving so quickly and so well he sounds like a very strong little thing, just getting over his initial rocky start. Wishing you all the very best and keep us posted with the good news that's bound to keep coming. Jxxx
  • Thank you everyone for your support and comments, it means a lot.

Baby Jenson has really improved over the last week and has now moved from intensive care to high dependancy. He is not being helped at all with his breathing, his bp is good and so is his temperature. He had his MRI scan today although we wont get the results until probably Monday now, but an EEG (similar to ECG but for brains) on Wednesday came back as normal activity.

He's still being fed through a feeding tube in his nose but both yesterday and today I've tried breastfeeding him. He's currently being fed 40mls of milk every two hours, so 12 feeds a day. I'm barely keeping up with him so he is having to have half EBM and half formula but he's guzzling away which can only be a good sign. I'm going to keep b/fing every day and once he goes down to feeds every 3/4 hours he'll start having bottles when I'm not there.

He's got another week on the anti-viral drugs but fingers crossed, once he's finished those and providing his feeding becomes established, his temperature remains stable and he develops no other problems, then we might be able to bring him home in the next 10 days!! To say I'm hopeful is an understatement!

The nurses have said he is really feisty and I've noticed myself that he gets quite grumpy, but he can be as feisty as he like, because it shows he's a fighter and that's what he needs to be right now!

I just want to say that the nursery nurses in neonatal have been fantastic, supporting us, diluting information given to us by doctors as much as possible, and caring for the poorly babies amazingly well! They really are angels and I don't think we would have been in this position without their care.

Will keep updating as things happen! Hope all pregnancies and babies are going well! It's very strange to think I should only be 38 weeks pregnant now!
  • Ah Cas this so good to hear, sounds like Jenson is a proper fighter, and more than a little entitled to be feisty/grumpy after all he has been thru!! hope u and hubby holding up ok and i will be keeping my fingers crossed u will be bringing your gorgeous little boy home in the next 10 days or so.

xxx
  • So wonderful to see good news - I can't imagine what you've been going through.

Sending lots of hugs and I hope he's home with you very soon.

Mrs B xxx