Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Work related question - not sure where I stand?

Hi ladies,

I wondered if you could help? My boss has just done the rostas for the next couple of weeks. Obviously he doesn't know that I'm pregnant yet I was planning on telling him on the 2nd July when I'll be 12 weeks.

Anyway the week commencing the 2nd July he's got me off for 4 days (Saturday - Tuesday) and then he's got me working 10 days straight. Should I be working 10 days straight when pregnant? Also I work in a very busy shopping centre and anything can happen on the weekend. I'm concerned that I am the only member of management on that weekend and if anything happens I'll have to deal with it on my own and pregnant.

What do you think ladies? Any advice? x

Replies

• Hi Loopy,

I suppose you've got two choices.  Tell him nearer the time or just play it by ear.  I don't think there any any rules about how many days straight you can work, how long are your shifts?  Can you maybe put a leave request in to break up the 10 days?  or tell him there is some family commitment at the weekend which would break them up?

Personally, I'd be inclined to live with it and try and keep boss on side.  From how you've described him, he sounds like he's going to be a pain, so I wouldn't want to 'rock the boat' too early.

I suppose it's going to boil down to how well you feel.  You may be feeling pretty good at 12 weeks and hopefully sickness and tiredness won't affect you too much.

• Hiya. This is my 3rd baby but when I was preg with my first I worked 12 days on 2 days off all the time plus I was working about 4 of the days till 10pm. I found its ok at the time but was not till I stopped on may leave I noticed how done in I was. If its a one off ul be ok but tell him not to make habit of it! X
  • Personally... I'd tell him earlier. It sounds like your concerned for your safety and as soon as you inform him he will have to do a risk assessment in which he will ask if you have any concerns. You can then tell him being the only manager worries you. I don't think you can do much about shift patterns bit you can ask for regular short breaks x
  • It'll all come down to your own contract terms & conditions but largely there is nothing to determine a maximum number of hours for working whilst pregnant other than what you personally feel comfortable/capable with doing.

Until your employer is notified of your pregnancy they will treat you as normal.  Once they are made aware they will need to coduct a risk assessment of your role & how it may affect you during your pregnancy (if you are customer facing, how will pregnancy hormones alter your normal reactions, are you required to lift things, if in a desk job are your desk/chair at the right height) at which point you can also ask for more flexible working throughout your pregnancy which your employer should give due consideration (reduced working hours to avoid rush hour travel stresses for example).  You are also entitled to time off for antenatal care (MW appts/GP appts/Scans that relate to your pregnancy).

• Thanks ladies for all the infomation its been a great help image. I think I'm going to try and change the two days off he allocated me so that I have a break inbetween. I'll hopefully be able to tell him before but I would like to have my 12 week scan out of the way first so I'll have to play it be ear x

• G/c but just wanted to say a massively huge CONGRATULATIONS loopy. I missed your BFP on the TTC thread (don't have as much time on here as I used to!) So very very pleased that the treatment worked for you. You were so supportive to all us ladies, I'm delighted you've got your reward finally. Wishing you a very happy & healthy pregnancy xxx P.S. I too have to tell my work earlier than I hoped. Will be telling them on 28th (12 weeks) because I have scan in afternoon of 30th then obstetrician appointment on morning of 31st May. They would ask questions if I had doc or dentist appointments & can't take leave as colleagues are off those days. Hope you get your shifts sorted out x
  • undecided thank you so much for the post hun image we're over the moon to be pregnant at long last! I'm just really anxious now that everything is going ok and I'll be glad when I have my early scan just to put my mind at ease a little on 28th May. I'm glad to hear that everything is going well with you, wishing you the best of luck with your appointments x