Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Stressful lead up to v. Early scan

Wow, I've had a rough 24 hours! Been feeling unsettled and less symptomy the past week or so acupuncturist recommended I go and get another bloodtest to reassure myself that everything is fine. Got that done on Wednesday and went back the next day but results weren't in. So annoying as had to wait in waiting room to see a doc, but it's a free clinic so I guess that's what happens. Anyway decided to just forget about bloodtest as the next doctor I saw wanted me to go have a scan ( said I had been spotting to get bloodtest, which I had but very minor and since gone away) stormed out of clinic feeling sick as I had to wait overe lunch and I forgot to bring snacks. Then yesterday (Friday) saw red when I wiped(tmi) and completely started to panic. Totally decided that this was it and it was all going to end. Went back to doctors to say new bleeding and received hcg results which were actually quite high, given referral for scan then went home. I was feeling ok for a while as hcg was up and then I had more red, totally lost the plot emotionally and was crying on dh shoulder about being so scared to go through it again image This morning I called to book in scan but told no sonograohers on, asked for next appt and told sorry the receptionist isn't on on weekends (!) panic panic panic on my part and then I remembered I had my referral for a different (and expensive) ultrasound that I was going to use next week for my early scan. They squeezed me in really quick bless them. I was expecting to see something that had stopped growing at 5ish weeks but it was measuring exactly 6 weeks, which I am today, and has a beautiful little heartbeat! Which I didn't think started til later is week but either way I'm happy. I was in total shock until a couple of hours ago as I was SO convinced. I don't think I've ever been more happy to be wrong in my life!

Replies

• Glad to hear all is well. Sounds very stressful, so hope you can relax a little now xx

• Omg mrslennon, what a stressful 24 hours. Put your feet up and relax now. Bet it was lovely to see the little heart beat x
  • Wow mrslennon! You must have been totally stressed out! So pleased your scan went really well. It's such a relief to see that little heartbeat for the first time. I had a scan at 6wks with my first and even though he looked like a blob, there was that beautiful heartbeat! It's a memory I'm sure you'll really treasure! image x
  • I'm very happy everything turned out all right for you, Mrs Lennonimage Can't imagine what you must have been through. Gosh, can't wait until I see my bean's heartbeat.. xxxxx

• thanks ladies,

im relaxed for now but going to request a scan around 9 weeks as last time i had mmc at 8+4 and don't want to wait til 12 weeks just in case

• i say have as many scans as you need, with my 1st i had a scan at 6 weeks 9 weeks and 12 weeks and she is a happy and healthy little toddler. just try and relax between scans and enjoy being pregnant x

• Hi mrs lennon, gosh am so pleased things are ok! image.

I can't imagine what you must of been thinking! Glad its all ok and yep i would definetley request more scans hun xxx

• Mrslennon so glad that everything was ok hun I bet you are so relieved! x

• Glad all went well, you must be relieved!

Will they allow you to request a scan at 9 weeks? Especially if youll be booked in for 12. I had 2 mc's before my ds and my first scan was 13 +1, unfortunatley you werent given any others. xx

• Hey Mrslennon, so glad you got to see your baby's heart beat! Amazing isnt it?!

Your post sounds just like me last Thursday, I was convinced there would be nothing there and had spotting and some bleeding, but then my scan showed baby at 6 weeks and a heart beat - was such a relief! Although already I'm starting to worry that now I'm not feeling sick etc etc. I dont think I will ever fully relax!

xxx

• You poor thing but so glad everything has worked out well.  Sending lots of sticky baby dust and of course some hugs xx

• wishful-thinking -  i live in australia so it's a little different. i can wait to see midwife for 12 week scan but as i'm still under the care of my doctor she can refer me for a scan whenever and i think if i ask for a refferal she will give me one. the only downside is that they are SO expensive. the one i had on sat cost me $175 and i get about $50 back from the government. not sure if it was so high because of the hospital i went to or that the quickly slotted me in though. either way for me its worth knowing. im going to be a wreak in the 8th week and i don't want to have to wait til 12 weeks to find out whats going on again