Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012

Are you buying anything or are you waiting a bit longer???

Hiya,

Are you buying anything for your upcoming arrival or are you waiting a bit longer?

I have a friend who refuses to have anything for the baby in her house until after the birth, another who has decorated the babies nursery already... both are a lot further along then us, but it made me wonder which of the two route I will take.

I guess there isnt a right or wrong way to do everything, but I am dont know if I should prepare for the babies arrival or play it safe?

What will you ladies be doing?

xxx

Replies

• With my first I think I started buying stuff after 20 weeks, probably left the bigger items ( pram and Moses basket) until after 30 weeks. I had my daughter in New Zealand, and we only moved back to UK this year and I ended up selling/ giving away most of the baby items instead of shifting them back here so I will be shopping for stuff again! image

Was in babies r us yesterday and it was so tempting to buy something, however I managed to force myself away. Still think I'll be tempting fate buying something this early on.

Has your friend who refuses to have anything in the house bought stuff and stored it elsewhere?
  • Hiya,

Yes she has bought a few things, not too much, and is storing them at her sisters house.

We have a 2nd hand cot, but have nothing else. We will buy a new matress nearer the time.

I was shopping today and I almost bought a pack of jumpsuits but left it... I will wait until after my second scan I think

xxx
  • Hey think I'll start buying after my 12 week scan, can't wait to shop till I drop in new York in April!!

Xx
  • Hi,

I bought stuff for my first when I got to around 4 months and the big items after my 20 week scan. although I was always told you shouldn't bring your pram home until after the baby is born, so I stored that at my parents home. I also know people who believe you shouldn't put the cot up until after the baby comes home, but we didn't. Everyone has different superstitions.

If you are buying clothes now, remember when your baby is going to wear them, as we are going into spring/summer and by the time our babies arrive and are wearing proper clothes we will be going into autumn/winter. I have loads of things I bought last time round and didn't think about what the weather would be like, hence never being worn!!!!!Hopefully I'll get some use this time round

• I have everything except clothing as DS is only 1 so I have his cot that I will use play mat etc I have not many sleepsuits and vests everything I have is blue and fleece as he was a November baby. I will be getting a double buggy after 35 weeks as no where to store it. I have the theory that if something is going to happen it will if u have a buggy/ cot in your house or not.

Gems x
  • I didn't worry about superstitions last time and had the nursery all ready by about 25 weeks as I was so excited. This time it's going to be more a case of finding stuff in the loft! If it's another girl we don't really need anything.

If it's a boy I will start picking up bits in the sales. Sainsburys often do 25% off TU clothing, which is already really cheap. They have some nice stuff so I tend to pick stuff up in bulk when it's on offer.

Xx
  • I am 14 weeks and totally don't believe in superstitions.. we are going to start buying sooner rather then later so we can keep our eye out for the best deals..1 I already know what pram I want I thinkimage
  • lol me too!

I caved in and bought a few babygrows yesterday... exciting!

xxx