Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bras?

Hi girls,

Hope you're all well and have had a great Christmas and New Year. It seems the time has definitely come for me to get some new bras as mine are really starting to dig in now and I wasn't sure where is best to get good maternity bras? I had a quick look on M&S and saw some fairly unflattering ones...please tell me there are better out there? I know maternity bras will be different but I'm hoping there are going to be some pretty ones available and ideally ones that are still underwired...I'm really not fancying the grandma type ones I've seen so far!!! Not sure if it's better to just go up in size in normal bras or if I should definitely be getting maternity bras. So, if any of you that are mums already or those that have already done some shopping have any suggestions for where to look I'd really appreciate it!!

.x.

Replies

• I had some nice ones from mothercare last time. Theyre not underwired but are like padded tshirt bras so give a much better shape than the normal cotton ones
  • G/c but i couldn't stand the thought of losing underwire so went and got fitted and made sure i had a cup size that was plenty big enough and not cutting into my breast tissue. I'm 39 weeks and still wearing underwired normal bras now when i go out but tend to change when i get home cos been uncomfortable for a few weeks. Hope that helps a bit?

• Ah thanks girls! Will have a look in mothercare but good to know Wispa that if I don't like the maternity ones I can just stick to normal ones and go up in sizes image Good luck with your little one's arrival too...not long to go for you now!.x.
  • My treat after our 12-week scan was a new maternity bra :lol: Got a t-shirt nursing bra from Mothercare. Even in between my pregnancies I sometimes wore their maternity bras as they are so comfy! Hate the wire under my boobs now... Heard it wasn't good for your milk production to wear the wires as they can block off some of the internal pipework (milk ducts almost reach all the way to your armpits).

• You can carry on wearing underwired as long as the wire doesn't press on any breast tissue. If your bras still fit and are comfy I'd wait a bit as you will find your ribs expand lots. Later in pregnancy I'd recommend something really comfy that doesn't dig in your ribs like a soft sleep bra as I used to find I got terrible rib pain when hunched over or driving.
  • In my last pregnancy I wore underwire bras throughout. I also wore maternity night bras at night. They were from mothercare. For when breast feeding I bought bras from bravisimo called panache Sophie. They were really comfy and looks nice too. You can also buy them in maternity bras as well as nursing bras. They were a but pricey but definitely worth it.