Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How many nappies?

Hiya, I just bought a load of nappies, 3 x 27 new born.

About 90 size 2, and about 90 size 3.

ASDA have offers on huggies so I couldn't resist.

Does anyone know roughly how many nappies in each size you'll roughly need, we are trying to save money by buying them in bulk now as when on mat pay we'll have to really be careful with money.

We are trying hard to save money and buy as many essentials over the next 6 months. Thus we are buying nappies etc whilst on offer, but I don't want to buy too much of something which we don't need? How much will you all be buying if you are doing this too or does anyone know a rough guide?

Thanks ladiesimage

Xxx

Replies

• It's a good idea to get things in bulk. We did this with my first baby. Hopefully I will get my act together and do it this time. It's really hard to say how many to get. What he did do was buy a few different brands and then u can work out which suits ur baby best. I had quite a few higgins bit never really liked them. We only use pampers now. What I did make the mistake of was not buying any new born nappies. Think we got the next few siZes up. We had to go out and get a load of new birn once ds was born. He grew of of them and size 1 rapidly. He stayed in size 2 for quite a while from what I remember. I was constantly exchanging sizes at tescos. They are very good at exchanging.
  • hey g/c but due end of June so could end up with you guys in July!!! If you look at the weight limits you'll see there's not a massive difference between 1&2s except 2s will last that bit longer 3s will last til about the upper weight limit (I say about cos you cant always go by the weight). It depends how big your bubba is. You will go through a lot in the early days so I doubt you'll waste any you buy. My DD was 8lb15.5 so even with the slight loss at the start she was big and into size 3s quicker than average. FYI Asda ALWAYS have offers on so you can often grab a bargain. Asda's own nappies are FAB, very similar to pampers in design (but without the funny smell pampers seem to have) Tescos own are also fab and like huggies (same with Sainsbury's). In the first few weeks if you are changing at every feed you're probably looking at between 8-10 nappies a day on average (breast fed babies pooh slightly less than FF). If you buy a months worth you should be ok. I would buy a selection so you can try different brands (I personally am not a fan of huggies find them a bit too narrow- doesnt stop me buying them when they're on offer tho lol!) x
  • also g/cing but when my daughter was first born, the first few weeks she would poo about 8 times a day so based on that you would need 10 nappies a day for the first six weeks x
  • p.s huggies organic nappies (the cream packet) are my absolute favourite...havent found any others even close to as nice in my opinion x
  • Thanks everyone image

Funnily enough it was the huggies organic range that we got!

My hubby walked in and saw all the boxes on the stairs and asked how lomg it would all last, when i said about a month, maybe a little longer he almost fell over, he thought it would last a year! ha ha!!!

xxx
  • I wouldn't stock up too much as you may prefer one type of nappy over another. Also they are always on offer with two packs for ??10 on the smaller nappies or two for ??15 on bigger packs. Sainsburys have Huggies half price at the moment. Wipes are always on offer too either ??1 per pack or Huggies do buy one get two free in Sainsburys every now and then.

I find you go through a lot of nappy changes at first but as they get older you change their nappy less as they poo less often. Now my daughter is 19 months we only use about 5 nappies per day.
  • My LO was in 3s for the longest and is now in 5s. She went pretty quick from 1 to 3. Also be careful buying too many of one brand. I know a lot of people that haven't been able to use Huggies as they rub their babies' legs. I personally advocate Asda own brand or Pampers- but every baby is different.
  • Thanks! image I'm buying more 3's as they cover a broader weight range.

Thanks ladies

Xxx
  • Was talking to a few of my mummy friends yesterday and they both said they prefer huggies and that pampers leak. I think pampers are the best. Funny how people find them so different
  • G/c but just wanted to second what someone said about not buying too many of a particular brand as you will probably end up with a preference. My children are almost 7 & 4 now but I never ever got on with Huggies for either of them. With DS it was pampers all the way and DD was a mix of Pampers (newborn) then Asda's Little Angels and Tesco Active Fit ones then back to Pampers when she was walking. Mine were in 4 & 4+ the longest but they were chunky monkeys lol! Supermarkets are pretty good at swapping sizes and/or brands in my experience.

Xx