Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

One born every minute!

Hiya ladies,

I am sure most of you are watching one born every minue (obem) I thought I would start a thread on this so we can natter after the episodes!

Some people think its odd that im watching it and arent I "scaring" myself by doing so. Not at all as regardless of the pain the ladies are in the second they are given their bundle of joy they are so happy that it gives me the confidence to know that the pain will pass but the joy of a new baby is forever.

In episode 2 the lady who had the birth labour was unbelieveable, she didnt make a sounds and even said it didnt even hurt! wow! I have a feeling that I will be more like the other lady inthe same episode who was freaking out! image

Well I'd be interested in knowing what your thoughts are on the series if you are watching it!

Have a fab weekend ladies.

xxx

Replies

• Good idea.. i love the programme!!

Roll on next week's! xx
  • I love it too - just finished watching this weeks on I-player. My hubby thinks I am crazy to watch it :lol:

xx
  • yes i watch it too and think "oh sh*t, i remember that....." ha ha.

xxx
  • I think it's fine to watch as long as you remember that they will focus on dramatic births with emergencies. This series they have showed a few calmer births which is great.

I think it also helps in a way to know what could go wrong, such as the baby being in distress, forceps or emergency c section. Hopefully if that happened to you watching might feel less panicked as you've seen it happen.

I had a very calm and natural birth and actually said "that wasn't that bad" straight after.
  • I agree with you bebedeux. Both my births were very calm and straight forward, so i always tell ladies not to listen to horror stories!

I have to admit i enjoyed them, and the pain was bad but not actually as bad as i expected. Afterwards i said "that was easier than i thought!"

I don't think i screamed or made that much noise either so i think thats more about individuals ways of coping rather than a reflection of the level of pain.

I often laugh out loud at OBEM as i can see certain things the women do that they are using as a coping mechanism. When i was having DD2, i absolutley had to bang my gas and air pipe on the back of the bed in a rhythm and it drove my hubby mad. He tried to stop me doing it and i nearly punched him; ha ha. :lol:
  • Hiya, i am quite reassured by your comments, I agree that they probaly focus on more dramatic things but this eason has been better at showing more "calmer" births.

As for hitting yourself with the gas and air! :lol: My hubby knows that his job is not to meddle in whatever crazy things I do! ha ha!

I think i will be very quiet during labour, i am a complete wuss but I also dont like any fuss... that being said i'll probaly scream the hospital down now! ha ha! Every women to their own way of coming if it gets them through it!

Thanks ladies for your comments!

xxx
  • Who else ended up in tears after tonight's episode?

I cried all the way through it practically.

Xxx
  • Me too. I was in absolute pieces the whole way through. Her asking if her baby would be taken away tipped me over the edge. What an amazing couple. They melted my heart. Xx
  • I cried too. They were so lovely and I am so happy for them. What an incredibly strong, brave lady and what a lovely man! I truly wish them all the happiness - they deserve it.

xx
  • i loved that couple, but couldnt believe the other two, she looked really disappointed to have had a girl! She even apologised to her OH and son. Cant get my head round that one.

It annoys me even more because people keep asking me if i'm hoping for a boy (i've got two girls)and it makes me mad! How shallow do they think i am? And this is even family; people who i wouldnt expect to ask such questions!

xxxxxxxxxxx
  • I know that other lady shocked me, she really looked glum after she was handed her beautiful healthy baby girl. I said to my husband how annoyed I was by it and he said its probaly just shock. But then she called her son to to apologise for another girl and he agreed that it was awful! She should be a) happy she is able to have children, b) be thankful baby is healthy and c) be grateful all went well!

grrrr!

The other couple however were lovely, when she asked "will my baby be taken away from me" I cried lots. That baby will have no shortage of love. They may need some help from time to time but love that baby will never want for!

Fab episode! next week looked good too!

xxx
  • hiya,

Did you all watch it last night?

I loved the couple last night, she had a no nonsense attitude to it all which I admire and hope to be like that... not sure im as brave as her though! lol image

not sure when the series ends but i'll miss my baby fix each month when it finishes! image

What did you all think of last nights episode?

xxx
  • Last nights was great. I look forward to Wednesday just for the show. The second couple were lovely and she was so strong. Her partners story had me in tears. It got me when he said he would be wrapping his baby up in cotton wool.

The first girl was annoying me a bit. It was important for her baby that she was examined but she kept refusing. I know they are uncomfortable and suppose I've never had one whilst in labour so maybe shouldn't comment but even so her baby could have been harmed if she was pushing before fully ready. I had to keep reminding myself that she was only very young. The midwives were all great though. It takes a special person to do the job. I can't wait for next week. Xx
  • I've got to admit that young girl was annoying me when she kept refusing to be examined. Hubby and I were discussing this yesterday: Surely if it's important for the safety for your baby, then you'd do it? After all, you're gonna have to push a baby actually out of there so the examination is nothing in comparison!

Having been there, I can honestly not remember even flinching for any of my internals as it was nothing compared to the pain of a contraction! I appreciate that for example a cervical smear or a sweep is pretty uncomfortable, but given the situation, most people couldn't care less if the midwife wants to do her job! I remember being gutted when they told me they wouldn't examine again for 4 hours :lol: The midwives are all very good and try and make this the least uncomfortable for you.

• The one and only time I was examined in labour got the response "oh you're fully dilated, I can feel the head and your ready to push!" I can't remember feeling anything at all but maybe it's worse if you're only a bit dilated and the have to poke about a bit!

I think it's a shame to have a baby so young when you lack the emotional maturity to deal with tough situations. It makes me worry how they will cope with looking after a little one. I don't imagine she would have much support from the Dad but hopefully her Mum and friend will support her.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.
  • totally G/C but cant resist a chat about OBEM.

I requested not to be examined unless absolutely had to be. My thinking was that I would hate to be examined and then told that I was not as far as I thought I was and it make me panic I couldnt do it. My mum said that I should be because I will find that I am further than I think and it will spur me on. Well when it came to it I was examined and 2cm over 12 hours later with contractions every 3-4 mins and lasting 45 secs they asked if i wanted to be examined again. Really I didnt but mums voice came in my head and low and behold only 2cm still so should have stuck with my gut. Towards the end though when they NEEDED to examine me to check things even though I didnt really want to be (for fear of still being 2cm) I still let them because I understood that for safety reasons they had to.

Anyway from that garbled essay what I am trying to say is that girl bugged me too. I get the not wanting to be examined thing but her reasons and mine were worlds apart. I hardly felt a single thing when I was examined even at 2cm so I was gwtting annoyed with her when not letting them examine her could harm her or the baby. She was pretty out of it though.
  • Just watched last nights episode and was crying pretty much the whole way through!

• Glad it wasn't just me, I blubbed loads during last nights!
  • g/c from TTC as I saw this post on home page and i LOVE obem! Properly cried last night, that was so scary. I really felt for the parents not knowing what was going on, and cried again when the mum finally got to hold her daughter xx